Author Topic: Which Historical Event could be held responsible for you being here.  (Read 5611 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which Historical Event could be held responsible for you being here.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Government Policy and Decisions at the time.
My ancestor, James Fox, a French polisher, with a wife and two very young children, found himself in financial trouble. He was found guilty of pawning illegally and was transported in 1837, to Moreton Bay (Brisbane). In 1842, his son, James Jnr, by now aged 11-13, joined him, travelling alone.

After The Famine in Ireland, many single Irish girls were given free passage to Australia to provide domestic work. Mary Wall, aged 21, was one who arrived with many other girls on the "Caroline" to Moreton Bay.

James Jnr and Mary married and had 10 children and I am one of their many descendants.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
One of my great great grandfathers, Jacob Pickering, moved south in the late 1850s from the Whitehaven area to help build Barrow in Furness. After all, if they are building a whole new town, there's bound to be work for a stonemason.

He married a local girl and they had 5 children before his death from tuberculosis in 1875.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention the threatened French invasion of the 1790s which prompted my 2xgreat grandfather John Luffman to move from Bristol to Alford Lincs with the Somerset Militia, where he married and founded our line in Lincolnshire. So for me blame Napoleon and the  Kaiser  in fairly recent history.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
New year’s eve. My father arrived at the dancehall too late to get in and my mother let him and his mate in through the fire escape.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 January 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
We do need a like button.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 January 19 22:10 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D. I've got several you can have 👍👍👍👍👍 😜😜!  Here you go Redroger, from my iPad!

On 15th December, 1865, my paternal great grandmother Jane Dunnell, upset her family when she ran away from home to marry my great grandfather, Henry Maxwell David Mathews in the Parish Church of St. Peter & St. Paul (Now the Sheffield Cathedral.  Jane was the daughter of a Coaching and carting (including coal) business owner and Henry was the son of the Sheffield Railways Accountant, (one of his duties was setting up facilities for, and organising the transportation of coal)!
I found this information in a book that I bought from the Mansfield Library, by Allan Mallatrat, the book was about another relative, in Australia, a notable female artist,  who who was related to Jane.

I'm guessing Jane's  father was losing quite a bit of his coal delivery business profits!!

And that's  why I have named her My Runaway Bride on my profile! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 January 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
My Naughty Grandad being gassed in the war... and conveniently forgetting he had a really real wife.. back home !!!

He was gassed in France and they brought them back here to my home town, where he met my Gran and they set up home ...    :-[ :-[ :-[

the story did come out.. in bits and pieces   My Pops went to Scotland to see what he could find out....

However he didnt find his Dads Wife and she was still his wife up till he died.. she died after him, and bless the poor lady - I could slap him..  for leaving her.   I dont know why he left and never returned -  I know I shouldnt judge...... but   you do dont you.. you just darn well wonder.. I did wonder if there were any offspring.. But together with Roots help and a few wrong certs discovered that there were not....tg for that at least..

I am or have ... should I say Finally (almost but not by all)  been accepted as part of the Clan.. 

they are lovely people ..

oh dear...
sad...
silly me..

I never met him or my Gran they were very close they died within months of each other before I was born.. and she my Gran from all accounts was a very 'biddable' patient kind lady...

so I dont take after her.. cos I still will slap him, *when I get the chance.. ha ha ha

*if

xin

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 January 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I should start another thread, about observance of marriage laws, particularly marrying a dead partner's sibling and how closely was this law observed?
 In the late 1890s my grandmother's oldest sister married, a few years later she died and he remarried. His second wife also died, and he had a third attempt. This time he married my grandmother's youngest sister which was then illegal, legalised around 1907. At least 2 of these marriages were in the same church, with some of the same witnesses including my grandmother, though it would not be readily obviously as in the meantime she had herself married.
So, answers) comments on here or anew thread?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I should start another thread, about observance of marriage laws, particularly marrying a dead partner's sibling and how closely was this law observed?

So, answers) comments on here or anew thread?
A new thread. I'll have one for it.
Cowban