Author Topic: Which Historical Event could be held responsible for you being here.  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Historical Event could be held responsible for you being here.
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 10 January 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Actually, this rather peeves me. I was conceived June/July 1942. von Paulus's 6th Army was driving on Stalingrad and Rommel's Afrika Korps was threatening Egypt again. Pity I didn't ask my father what the hell he and my mother were playing at. ::).
Don’t say no one has told you!
Perhaps there was a blackout!
Whatever , glad they did play at something or you would not be o n R.C.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 10 January 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about prices - BUT - fish and chips from Yorkshire ARE (possibly were, as I haven't had any since August)  the BEST!!! Proviso - they have to be cooked in dripping!  Had some good ones in Saltburn by the Sea on our last visit  :)
I do think some dripping makes a huge difference.
Our once good chippy now has that unpleasant smell of oil used too long.
Pity it really was good.
Fish and chips by the sea have an added flavour I am sure.
Do they make what we called scallops?
Just peeled potatoes sliced about a centimetre thick, dipped in batter and fried as the chips are.
I don’t like shop meat pies but Holland’s were the best known hereabouts and all over Lancashire.
I could murder a nice crispy tasty fish!
Viktoria.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 10 January 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Actually, this rather peeves me. I was conceived June/July 1942. von Paulus's 6th Army was driving on Stalingrad and Rommel's Afrika Korps was threatening Egypt again. Pity I didn't ask my father what the hell he and my mother were playing at. ::).
Don’t say no one has told you!
Perhaps there was a blackout!
Whatever , glad they did play at something or you would not be o n R.C.
Viktoria.

Thank you Viktoria, no blackout, it was daytime, we lived in the country, south Bucks. Mind you, my mother told me, one day she heard an aircraft coming low and fast whilst I was in my pram in the garden. She said she was fumbling with my straps to get me and her to the Anderson shelter. She looked up and saw the black crosses on the undersides of his wings. I suppose this was 1943.

Otherwise there are three men and two women on here who'd rather I wasn't. Shall I name them, better not, get booted.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »

The potato famine of 1879 had an effect on movement on my paternal line. It's sometimes known as "the forgotten famine". Direct ancestors on my paternal side stayed put during the Great Hunger, 3 decades previously.

Today someone began a thread about the 1879 famine.
Cowban

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 January 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about prices - BUT - fish and chips from Yorkshire ARE (possibly were, as I haven't had any since August)  the BEST!!! Proviso - they have to be cooked in dripping!  Had some good ones in Saltburn by the Sea on our last visit  :)
Pity it really was good.
Just peeled potatoes sliced about a centimetre thick, dipped in batter and fried as the chips are.
I don’t like shop meat pies but Holland’s were the best known hereabouts and all over Lancashire.
Viktoria.
Dripping spoils it for a piscatarian like me,(vegetarian apart from fish and shellfish) The champion I mentioned uses oil. It should NOT smell.There is one close to our home which stinks of greasy fat whether open or closed. Expensive too.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 January 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Pity it really was good.
Viktoria.

We call them potato fritters in Zealand!  We have a shellfish (very mild and yummy) that is really popular, quite expensive though, and we call them Scallops in NZ, they have a pretty fan type shell, and they're lovely and crispy - fried in beer batter!  Yum!  Oysters are very popular here, very expensive, some people prefer their oysters raw, and dip them in vinegar and then sprinkle salt over them!  Some people chew them before swallowing them,  others just swallow them!  Ugh!  My Dad loved them, I only tried them once - UGH, spat it out!!

Love my fish, my son and grandsons go fishing a lot, so there's never a shortage of fish in our family! 
I always use beer batter on freshly caught fish!  We're very fortunate, our wee country is so small, no one's very far away from the sea, or lakes and rivers for trout. A lot of shallow oyster farms in the South Island, but they're not going so well this summer, a lot of them are dying from the heat!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:12 GMT (UK) »
May late Uncle Cockney WW1 artillery vet liked his beer. Before his first pint every day he would buy a fresh egg, crack it on the beer glass and empty it into the pint. Then down in one,said it lined his stomach, called it a Prairie Oyster.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)