Author Topic: Which Historical Event could be held responsible for you being here.  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Historical Event could be held responsible for you being here.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 01:19 GMT (UK) »
A long-lasting event -  the Industrial Revolution. King Cotton brought most of my maternal ancestors together, many in Preston, Lancashire.
Founding of one of the earliest building societies in the world, in Longridge, Lancashire at end of 19thC. It was formed to build rows of houses for handloom weavers. 2 rows were built, one of which has Listed Building status. Some of my stonemason family moved there at the time. 30 years later the Preston-Longridge railway opened to transport stone to Preston for building the new houses, churches etc. and for paving the new streets. The middle son of my stonemason family, my ancestor, moved to Preston.
Cowban

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 01:29 GMT (UK) »
The Potato Famine might get a few answers. Most of my disparate Irish ancestors all came together in Australia

Then the opening up of South Australia and the need for emigrants and ag-labs let the Wiltshire poor be 'sent' to Australia

The Moonta and Burra mines opened up emigration opportunities for the Cornish

The political, economic and religious issues in the former Germanic states pushed out a large group of people to America or Australia

All of these helped make me

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 01:51 GMT (UK) »
The Potato Famine might get a few answers. Most of my disparate Irish ancestors all came together in Australia
The potato famine of 1879 had an effect on movement on my paternal line. It's sometimes known as "the forgotten famine". Direct ancestors on my paternal side stayed put during the Great Hunger, 3 decades previously.
My maternal Irish ancestors (born in Ireland 1830s-1840s) were in England by 1860s. I don't know if it was the Great Famine which caused their move or simply the need to find paid work. Relatives of the husband seem to have been present in Lancashire during 1830s probably as casual/seasonal labourers and hawkers. There were many harvest failures, poverty, shortage of paid employment and lack of poor relief in Ireland pre 1840. Any of these factors could influence travel to Britain or emigration elsewhere.
Cowban

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The end of WW2.

I am a "demob baby" and in my primary school class, there were seventy-two of us!!!!! :o
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 13:14 GMT (UK) »
The Napoleonic War - my 3 x gt grandfather William Trowsdale born 1785 was a farmer in Gilling Yorkshire till he joined up in the 2nd Life Guards in 1804. When injured in Portugal and discharged in 1814, he settled in Marylebone [seemingly to be near to the pension office], became an umbrella maker & married Sarah Sutcliffe in 1805. If he hadn't enlisted he presumably wouldn't have moved away from Yorkshire. The Trowsdales &  subsequently the Hayters] remained umbrella makers till the 1920s.

The Luddite Movement - William Holland also born 1785 was a weaver from Midgley nr Halifax, Yorkshire but emigrated to Nova Scotia when the weaving industry was threatened by mechanisation. His granddaughter married an Irish soldier stationed at Halifax Citadel. 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
It was either the death of the last Tasmanian tiger,September 1936  ;D or
events further back like the decline of the lead mine in Shropshire which had been ,after agriculture,the biggest employer in a rural area.
To help her family my paternal Grandmother found work in Manchester where she met Grandad,married him and had myDad.

Grandad came from Notts where his mother ,a young widow,had gone with her new husband.
Something went very wrong as they separated and she came to Manchester
where Grandad met the girl from Shropshire.
So,nothing very Earth shattering,but some coincidences.
Such slim chances of the things I have mentioned  happening.
I am so glad,I am what I am because of those people and their marriages.
I am not perfect ,far from it but have a broad base so to speak and can adapt and settle due no doubt to being in Manchester ,Shropshire ‘Manchester etc.
I feel lucky,
Cheerio Viktoria.

Online Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
The death of my mum's long term boyfriend in a road accident which led her to meet my dad a few years later

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
The end of WW2.

I am a "demob baby" and in my primary school class, there were seventy-two of us!!!!! :o

Was your Dad on his final demob, or was it was a 24 hour demob leave??  I've never actually thought about the kids in my class, or cousins of my own age,  but I guess if their Dads had served in the war, and went home on a 24 hr leave  as my dad did, well......  Actually I just thought......I have a cousin that is only a few weeks older than me, and he came home on the same leave as Dad!  Maybe....??? 😜😜😜. LOL - can't wait to tell him!  :D :D :D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Actual demob. I have a copy of his army record!!
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f