Author Topic: Shoah Memorial Cemetery, Paris. Jacques FERMO 1942  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Shoah Memorial Cemetery, Paris. Jacques FERMO 1942
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
A bit of a needle in a haystack time...
In our family we know very little about the man called Jacques FERMO, apparently a Belgian, who married the younger sister of my great-grandma.  His bride in London on that day in 1902 (have just sent away for the marriage cert, so no details yet) was an Agnes Florence KERSHAW.  They were not married long, and Florence did not long survive her wedding day,  as far as we know.
Now, Jacques FERMO does not appear to be a commonly occurring name, and I have just this moment come across a 1942 burial record for an individual of that name in the Shoah Memorial Cemetery in Paris.  I was wondering whether this is some kind of war cemetery, with perhaps the burial date significant.
I could be barking up entirely the wrong tree, but I simply wanted to colour in a few more details in Agnes Florence's  life over 100 years ago.
Apparently she was quite an academic young woman, doing very well in her studies at Royal Holloway College, London.
Many thanks for any info...
Keith

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shoah Memorial Cemetery, Paris. Jacques FERMO 1942
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 01:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news but the Mémorial de la Shoah is the holocaust museum in Paris,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9morial_de_la_Shoah

There is some info. about the Jacques FERMO d.1942 here, but it is in French,

http://bdi.memorialdelashoah.org/internet/jsp/core/MmsGlobalSearch.jsp

The best I can do is from the first page,

Mr Jacques FERMO  born 08.08.1876 at Bucarest deported on convoy no.37 the 25.09.1942 to Auschwitz.

If I'm right about his address in the image it is 45, Rue Pigalle, this would have been in Drancy Internment Camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drancy_internment_camp#Prisoners

Unfortunately it doesn't help to know whether it is the Jacques FERMO you are looking for. This one seems to have been born in Bucharest, Romania but of course he could have been living in Belguim before his marriage in 1902.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Morning,  Daisy,
And thanks so much for all that sobering information.  As you say, it may well be that I have got the wrong individual there, perhaps I shall know more about the Jacques FERMO who married into my family in 1902 once that marriage certificate plops through my letter box in about a week's time.
Many thanks again,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 08:28 GMT (UK) »
...and I was wondering whether someone can point me to a good guide to how things were organised in the very early days of women being able to study for BA degrees in the United Kingdom.
Have come across an 1882 announcement under the heading of The University of London, where Agnes Florence KERSHAW gains a first class honours BA degree in Classics.  Royal Holloway College is given alongside her name, but she is "bracketed" with two other women who achieve the same grade degree, one of whom has Cheltenham Ladies College against her name.  Rather confused by it all..
Keith

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I believe Cheltenham Ladies College is, and always has been, a school, as opposed to an establishment for further education.... if that helps?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
1882? Royal Holloway College was opened in 1886.

https://www.senatehouselibrary.ac.uk/our-collections/special-collections/archives-manuscripts/university-of-london-students-1836-1934
http://archives.ulrls.lon.ac.uk/resources/general_register_part_3.pdf
Kershaw, Agnes Florence.-Matr. Jan. 1888, Notting Hill High Sch. and R. Holloway
Coll., 21st in Hons, Obt. marks qual. for a Prize ; Intermed. Arts 1889, it.
Holloway Coll., 2nd in 1st Class in Germ. ; B.A. 1891, R. Holloway Coll., 1st in
1st Class in Cl.; Teacher's Diploma 1892, Camb. Trg Coll. 12 Charterhouse
Square, E.C

That is, she matriculated in 1888 and received a BA in 1891, then teaching qualifications in 1892.
She was at Notting Hill High School before matriculation, then at Royal Holloway for the BA, and then at Camb. Trg Coll = Cambridge Training College for Women Teachers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, sorry, should have put a much later date, not 1882!
And many thanks for the continued delving, Jorose and Mowsehowse...
Keith
We've been curiously offline for the last hour or so, or I would have responded earlier...

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
Have just this moment received that 1902 marriage certificate through the post.  On 14th June Jacques FERMO aged 25 married Agnes Florence KERSHAW aged 33 at the London City Register Office.
Thus, poor Jacques perfectly fits the description/details/d.o.b from that holocaust memorial record.
I have never heard anything of this within the family - quite a sobering shock, in fact.
Family folklore (speaking the other day to my 93 year old mother) describes the shadowy nature of the family knowledge of this man FERME (sic) as much older than his bride, and supposedly a Belgian. I wonder why this was so wide of the mark.
Maybe they simply went to live in Belgium.  When and where exactly Agnes Florence died or is buried is not known either, only that she didn't long survive after 1902.  Must try and find out.
And can I ask where I might enquire and ask for more details about the Drancy Internment Camp and so on.
Do not believe they had any children, or know what happened to Jacques FERMO between the death of Florence and 1942.
So much to ponder...
Keith
N.B.  Jacques FERMO's occupation in 1902 given as Mining Engineer Student; father's name was Abraham FERMO, Commission Agent, money matters I suppose. ..

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I just made a quick search on Yad Vashem....
Jacque Fermo   B.1876,
Place of residence: Bucharest, Romania.   
Source: List of deportation from France   
Fate: murdered  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.