Author Topic: Shoah Memorial Cemetery, Paris. Jacques FERMO 1942  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Shoah Memorial Cemetery, Paris. Jacques FERMO 1942
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, Mowsehouse..
I'm completely new to this area of family research, can you tell me what Yad Vashem is exactly?
And now it's pretty certain that we have identified the individual I was seeking, Daisypetal, I've now gone back and had a proper, thorough read of those links you so kindly put on this thread earlier, especially about that Jewish internment camp at Drancy.  Very sobering stuff indeed.
Jacques seems to have been a Rumanian Jew, and the various forced migrations of his people is extremely interesting too.  I think also that the references on Ancestry to passenger lists to  the U.S. probably reference him as well, but I don't pay enough in my subscription to view the original images, apparently!
Keith

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
It is a database recording the names of victims of the holocaust, so they will be remembered for generations to come.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 January 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, Mowsehowse,
And there's yet another puzzling little piece that I've discovered in this family story of mistruths.
Jacques F gives his residence at the time of his marriage on 14th June 1902 as the Champion Hotel in Aldersgate.  I've just learned by googling that this hotel was demolished in 1901, though one of its mirrors was recently discovered in a Coventry hotel and auctioned off in 2017.  I suppose you can't always believe what you read on the internet, though.
I'm wondering also how I'll ever track down a death or burial entry for Agnes Florence FERMO somewhere in the world, not in the U.K, but possibly Europe, a little while after 1902...
Keith

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 January 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

In Welsh Newspapers Online there is an advertisement, from the Cymro a'r Celt Llundain newspaper issue of 26th March 1910, for a Grand Smoking Concert to be held on 7th April at the Champion Hotel in Aldersgate.

However, from the same paper on 2nd April, there is a "Notes & News" item which reports that "The Champion Hotel, at Aldersgate Street, having closed its doors, the smoking concert........has had to be transferred to the Horseshoe Hotel"

Willyam

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 January 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Very well spotted, Willyam!
I'm surprised that people hadn't noticed that the Champion had closed or even been demolished.  We have a pub here in Cambridge called The Champion Of The Thames, which is always referred to as The Champ.  I bet the place in Aldersgate Street was referred to as such by the locals, who presumably transferred themselves to a hostel nearby, perhaps The Horseshoe Hotel.
Many thanks for that,
Keith
And I wonder what exactly a Grand Smoking Concert was - wreaths of choking cigarette and cigar smoke no doubt, and some kind of performance(s), just distinguishable, going on...
How times have changed, the other day I walked to a Norwich City football game.  I remember last attending fifty years ago, with the then all pervading smell of cigarette smoke hanging heavily over and around the crowd.  Not any more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 January 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering also how I'll ever track down a death or burial entry for Agnes Florence FERMO somewhere in the world, not in the U.K, but possibly Europe, a little while after 1902...
Keith
You might start with "Find a Grave", and "Familysearch".... fingers crossed.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

My reading of the newspaper items was that the Champion Hotel had only just closed between the 26th of March and the 2nd of April in 1910.

Willyam

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 January 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Willyam,
So maybe it was still open as a hotel for paying guests in 1902, and the reports of it closing and being demolished in 1901 were much exaggerated, or just plain inaccurate...
Keith

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I'd say that 1901 is a typo for 1910 - what used to be called a 'clerical error'.  Years ago I worked alongside someone who switched numbers all the time and couldn't understand why his totals were wrong ::)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch