Author Topic: How can I find out more about my paternal ggg grandparents from Keith?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find out more about my paternal ggg grandparents from Keith?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Ann  Fraser, other surname Sellar, died in Keith in 1869 aged 80. To find out if she was your one go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and use six of them to view her death certificate and potentially learn who her parents were.

On the same site look at the index to the church records for baptisms of children to William Fraser and Ann Sellar. Do not trust anything you find on MyHeritage - check the original documents at Scotland's People.

Look for them in the census - use https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/ and when you have found the transcriptions there, check the originals at Scotland's People. I note with interest that William Fraser and wife Ann Fraser are in the census in 1851 and 1861. If the Ann Sellar or Fraser who died in 1869 is yours, it means that there should also be a death certificate for William Fraser which should tell you the names of his parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family, a reverse pyramidal plunge into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks solidrock, trish1120 & Forfarian for giving me something to be going on with. Certainly will check through ScotlandsPeople, to which I've long subscribed, Forfarian.

Still wondering about William Fraser's occupation as flour miller & finding out where he worked. Are there any extant lists/directories that might carry his name? Would he have appeared as Ag Labourer on the 1841 census, solidrock? It seems unlikely to me and his son's death cert did cite his job as a miller.

Again, many thanks.

Cheers,
Col  :)
Fraser, Davidson, Gibson, Sutherland (Scot), Thompson/Thomson (E Sussex)

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:42 GMT (UK) »
After being on ScotlandsPeople & tracking the Keith Frasers through the 1841, 51 & 61 censuses I conclude William wasn't specifically a flour miller but rather an ag labourer & carter - maybe associated with a local mill. William came from out of county from Inverness-shire. Can't read where so I'm going to take a snippet, put it in the handwriting section.

Ann's death was in 1869, Forfarian. Her dad was William Sellar, her mum's maiden name not known / recorded.

Cheers,

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
possible parents of Ann Sellar There is a birth of Ann Sellar in Keith 1788 parents William Sellar and Elspet Dustan this couple also had a daughter Margaret b 1786 also in Keith possible the Margaret witness to John's baptisim

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I have listed every burial for the surname Fraser in Keith Old Cemetery in another post.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783637.0

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wendy2305, after checking on ScotlandsPeople am pretty sure you're right. Thanks to you, too, weeaza, can see at least 3 of my lot in your list of Keith Fraser burials - probably others whose connection I haven't yet discovered.

Cheers,