Author Topic: 19th century preacher. Machynleth ?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
19th century preacher. Machynleth ?
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I have recently bought a writing slope. Late regency or Victorian badly needing restoration but an intact brass plaque on the lid states. Sercharwydd Wasleyaid, Machynleth ir parch. J. Rees.
As I am at present at a lull in my own tree searching I thought I would investigate.Can anyone help me with any details of this preacher please..BMD, when he served in the chapel,location burial  etc.I dont live all that far from the town and would like to visit again if I can find some information.

Thankyou.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century preacher. Machynleth ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
There's mention in a newspaper article of a Parch J Rees, Machynlleth of the Wesleyans dated 1854

Are you able to post an image of the plaque? The welsh inscription as you've written it isn't quite right

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Mabel.
Plaque is as written except two Ls in Machynlleth which is my fault sorry. and on closer look says Wesleyaid.. No idea why writing slope was presented as no date but must have been quite expensive at the time, but no idea whether it was for retirement, taking up the post or whatever. I only bought it because of the plaque as nice to put a story with the slope which my husband has somewhat restored.It was in very bad condition and I bought from a shop in Leominster.1854 is bang in the middle of when the slope was probably made.

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census (HO 107/2461/372/54) has Jane Rees,Wesleyan Minister's(?) wife and family in Cowbridge,but no husband present.
From this clue the 1861 census has John Rees(Wesleyan Superintendent,mistranscribed!) and Jane in Cradock Street,Swansea.
The GRO gives mmn Rees to the children and indeed there looks like an 1842 marriage of John Rees to Jane Rees in St.Peter,Machynlleth.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
The census data consistently gives him as born 1810 in Llangurig,Montgomeryshire,and given that he has a daughter named Jemima it's a fair bet that the 1810 record with parents are Edward and Jemimah is appropriate.
His last census appearance is 1891 RG12/4414/27/18 Fronolen House,Llanwonno,Pontypridd and he dies in 1898
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3741084/3741088/37/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 22:10 GMT (UK) »
This looks like an announcement of the marriage

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3330405/3330408/19/

My only concern is that all of this doesn't quite seem to make him Wesleyan Minister,Machynlleth 1854!

Regards
Roger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Folks..gives me a lot to work on.I will go up to Mach. in the better weather and see if the Chapel is/was still there.I have printed out the info. and will put it in the secret drawer in the slope.As my American friend says." I think the dead like to be remembered and visited"
Hopefully I can find a photo of him too.
Sheila .

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 January 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile