Author Topic: Hercules Ship to Australia Dec 26th 1852  (Read 1041 times)

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hercules Ship to Australia Dec 26th 1852
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Many folk from North Uist, Harris and Skye left Campbelltown on the "Hercules" on Dec 26th 1852.
The Hercules was disease riddent and quarantined off Ireland with some arriving in Australia on the Hercules, others having been transferred to other ships.
Of those that survived and disembarked in South Australia, many headed to the areas now known as Clare and Spalding.
John MacAskill set aside some land for a cemetery of Hercules folk and their descendents.
To mark the 166th anniversary a new Facebook Page was created focussing on the cemetery.  If you have connections please visit the page .. "Friends of the White Hut Gaelic Cemetery".  It has photos of all headstones and plaques.
Feel free to post comments, messages or queries on that page.
My own MacLean ancestors from North Uist are among those buried at White Hut.
Would be great to hear from any connections also.

Maccavr, Adelaide, South Australia

Offline MaryMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hercules Ship to Australia Dec 26th 1852
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
Do you have the surname MacLean or are you related through a maternal line?  The reason I ask is that the MacLean DNA project over at family tree dna now has several tests from this era in Uist... one who did go to Australia or New Zealand I think.  If you have the surname MacLean, I encourage you to write to macleandnaproject at gmail.com and find out more about the project.

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hercules Ship to Australia Dec 26th 1852
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaryMcC,
I did contact the project some time ago, (and think you may have even been one who responded) but obviously things have expanded since then!
Yes, surname McLean, my father who died in 1996 was the last of the males in the line.  His grandfather was aged 10 when the family emigrated from North Uist in 1852.
I will send another email, even though I have not gone the DNA way.
Thanks,
Tania