Author Topic: Canada - Where to look next?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Canada - Where to look next?
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello All, 

I received some really good advice and gentle prodding (and some not so gentle prodding) which put me on the right track to get information about my late father. Thank you all a thousand times for that. The proverbial brick wall became a superhighway of information! 

I now have a related query.  My parents divorced and my father remarried and in 1968 produced a girl child, Tracy Anne. A few months before her 20th birthday, she died. 5/11/68 to 17/6/88. 

I know when she died and where her ashes are interred (Alliston Union Cemetery, Ontario)(see Attachment). I applied to the Registrar General of Ontario for her Medical Statement of Death. After a long and exhaustive search they have reported to me that her death was not registered in the Province of Ontario. 

Because her death was not recorded in her home province, I am surmising that the death was unexpected and sudden - is that a fair assumption? 
So this is where I could do with a bit of advice. It could have happened anywhere in the world, but where are the most likely places to look. She was living in southern Ontario, so I can't really see her going east or west to Quebec, or Manitoba. But if not those two, is the US likely? 

I can start applying to all the other Provinces and all 50 States, but it would be nice weed out the unlikely ones first. 

Thanks in advance 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Canada - Where to look next?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 12:27 GMT (UK) »
New York State and Michigan are closer to much of southern Ontario than Canadian provinces, though don't rule out Quebec. Or popular holiday states like Florida. I don't know if foreigners appear on those US Social Securuty death records
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if foreigners appear on those US Social Securuty death records

The people on the Social Security death index had a Social Security number and had their deaths reported to Social Security, so a foreign visitor with no other US connections would not be on there. 

Most US states do not have such recent death information online, but a few do have indexes online that would cover that time frame (Connecticut, Florida, and California are three that I can think of off-hand).  Ancestry and Family Search would be the best places to check the indexes.

Have you contacted the cemetery to see if they have a death certificate or information on file?  Did she have an obituary?

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiltpin

Since this monument is in Alliston, Simcoe County, Ontario I checked the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid.

http://ocfa.islandnet.com/homepage.html

This grave is listed and the reference number is SM-T-3620.

You can contact the local branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society which in this case is:

For REFERENCE FIELD numbers beginning with "SM-", write to...

Simcoe County Branch, OGS
                   P.O. Box 892
                   Barrie, Ontario, Canada.
                   L4M 4Y6

Many of the local OGS groups that contributed to this data base made it their business to augment the OCFA list with additional information which they hold in their own records.

Most local libraries have card catalogues with obituary information from the local newspapers.  The Simcoe County OGS should be able to assist you in finding a death notice or obituary if one exists that may give you information regarding the death. They will probably require a small fee. Don't forget to quote the reference number when you write.

Good Luck in your quest.
Venelow
Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Another option, the New Tecumseth Library, Alliston Branch has the Alliston Herald Newspaper
on microfilm 1881-1994.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7q/
Contact/email details
http://discovernewtecumseth.ca/business-profiles/new-tecumseth-public-library-alliston-memorial-branch

As you have her exact death date, it would be a quick look up, and sometimes libraries will do
that for free.

DB

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Do you know for a fact that she was living in Ontario at the time of her passing?  Could she have been living away from "home", possibly to attend university or college?  Is there a chance that she left Ontario, in search of an employment opportunity?  Did she have any other relatives living in either Canada or the United States - could she have been living with them for a short time?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
British Columbia can be ruled out - Tracy Anne isn't registered here. Young people from "Back East" often come west looking for summer employment, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Tracy Anne.

Brian

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 19 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Everybody - some great ideas and hints. 

@shellyesq - I am writing to the cemetery, hopefully to find out where the ashes came from. After all it is cheaper and easier to ship ashes than it is to ship a body. 

@venelow - thanks for the link and the SM number. I am writing to the OGS, to see if there is any help that they can give. 

@dbree - thanks for the link. Our father was quite well known in Alliston at the time, so if there is information they might be able to help. 

@Lisa in California - that is the problem - I just don't know. No relatives outside of Canada, but holidays, training, work - could have been anywhere in the world.   

@dbrobertson - Thanks for the BC info. It seems that every State and Province has a different standard.  Manitoba was "Give us $Cdn 30 and we will tell you anything" and Quebec is "We cannot do anything without your Social Security Number" But I live in the UK and don't have one. "Well you will have to apply for one then." New York State and New York City have two different archives which do not talk to each other. 

Thanks again everyone. I will follow up the leads and let you know how I get on. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations