Author Topic: Canada - Where to look next?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Canada - Where to look next?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/TheGlobeAndMail/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=189824886
The father's obit

Thanks, Roderick - I have my father's obituary. My mother, my sister, nor I are mentioned in it. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 19 01:21 GMT (UK) »
If you have any family living close to the cemetery, ask them to visit the office (in person, not just a phone call).  I have personal experience that visiting the office in person can provide more information than calling them over the phone or contacting them by email.  When I contacted a cemetery one of my ancestors is buried by email the only information I got was in their computer system, but when I went in person I was able to view the entry I wanted in their burial book and find out 3 pieces of information I was missing (the day he died, where he died and what country he was born in).  Once you have that information, look at newspapers online and try to find her death notice.  Just note that not all Canadian newspaper archives are available online.

If you don't have any family members who can visit the office in person, put out a query on this site and see if anyone can do it for you.

I hope this helps.

Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
If you have any family living close to the cemetery, ask them to visit the office (in person, not just a phone call).  I have personal experience that visiting the office in person can provide more information than calling them over the phone or contacting them by email.  When I contacted a cemetery one of my ancestors is buried by email the only information I got was in their computer system, but when I went in person I was able to view the entry I wanted in their burial book and find out 3 pieces of information I was missing (the day he died, where he died and what country he was born in).  Once you have that information, look at newspapers online and try to find her death notice.  Just note that not all Canadian newspaper archives are available online.

If you don't have any family members who can visit the office in person, put out a query on this site and see if anyone can do it for you.

I hope this helps.

Hi Imfamily, 

I have no family near, the last, my father died in 2006. I have already written to the cemetery Superintendent and am awaiting a reply as to what information is held there. It was just the ashes that were deposited there as the crematorium is elsewhere. I am hoping that they might know where the ashes came from. 

My father's obit is available in a couple of places on the net, but a google search reveals nothing for Tracy. I feel that she died outside of Canada, or that she succumbed to a long term ailment, but her death was not registered in Ontario. 

Thanks 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia