Author Topic: Elswick Cemetery Burial Look up  (Read 6305 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elswick Cemetery Burial Look up
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 January 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »

I see from Jon's post showing they are both in the grave that William's burial was 12/s. I wonder if this higher cost might mean that there could be a grave stone.  I don't know how I managed to miss him yesterday but I was planning to double check. 

As JenB said he is recorded on the grave register (and probably the burial register) as Aitchinson and the death notice shows a different address to that on Sarah's record, so its understandable that you missed it.
If you are going to double check, the grave register gives the Burial Register entry number as 36016 on 20th April 1902.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 January 19 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a little more ...

Evening Chronicle Memoriam Notice - Wednesday April 15, 1903

'In loving memory of William Aitchison who was accidentally killed in Half Moon Lane, Gateshead, April 15th, 1902.  Ever remembered by his loving wife, family and friends.'

Newcastle Journal - Wednesday, April 16 1902

'SERIOUS CAB ACCIDENT IN GATESHEAD.
A DRIVER KILLED.
About 6.30 last night a pair of horses attached to a cab owned by Mr W. Bruce took fright while proceeding along West Street, Gateshead, and, bolting down Wellington Street, collided with the mineral water waggon of Messrs Dowson Brothers.  Both the vehicles were overturned, the cab being smashed to pieces.  Wm Aitchison, of Hewitt Street, Gateshead, the driver of the cab, was seriously injured, several of his ribs and his jaw being broken.  He was conveyed to the Royal Infirmary, Newcastle, and medically treated, but died about 10.30 p.m.  The occupants of the cab - Miss Davis of Ravenshill and Miss Emley of Red House, Durham Road, Gateshead - were both severely shaken.  Miss Davis received a scalp wound, and after being treated at Dr. Page's surgery, was taken home.  The driver of the mineral water cart escaped with a shaking.'

Thanks Boo, it was with your post showing the article in the Evening Chronicle that I was able to locate this additional one in the Newcastle Journal.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline navarrom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and to River Tyne Lass, for messaging me to let me know about the new information added on this post. I've goosebumps after reading what happened. I've also been able to find the following about GG Emma, the age matches and they mention 'Morrison Street', so it must be her. She appears on the 1911 Census at the Sunderland Reformatory for Girls, Tatham Street, Sunderland and on the 5th June 1914 leaving Liverpool for Canada to work as a Domestic Servant. She returned to Liverpool around 1916, where she stayed.

I'm not sure if there would be a grave for 2GG, and if so, in what condition it may be, since I believe there's no family left there. According to the Census, William was born in Scotland and Sarah was from Dorset. I have been able to trace Sarah's family, but not William. I'm hoping their marriage certificate from the GRO will contain William's parents. The earliest that I know about him is that they married on July 1873 in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Thanks a lot for all your help!    :)

Bannister: Croston, Lancs.
Bell: Co. Antrim
Cochrane: Castlebar, Co. Mayo / Liverpool
Kilshaw: Tarbock, Lancs.
Lawson: Leyburn, Yorkshire
McGrady: Co. Antrim / Liverpool / Australia
Middleton: Yorkshire
Munden: Dorset
Plant: Liverpool / Yorkshire
Pressdee: Liverpool / Hertfordshire / Worcestershire
Whitfield: Tarbock, Lancs.
Whittaker: Kilkenny / Liverpool / India

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Do come back and let us know what the marriage cert says about his father.
There is a quite possible William Aitchison in the earlier census returns in Dunbar, Haddingtonshire (parents James, a master tailor, and Mary).
I am nosey and like to know how things turn out :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:39 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Navarrom.  When you didn't come back I thought for some reason you may not have been alerted that you had replies.  It would have been a shame to have missed out on receiving all that was found.  What a tragic end for poor William!

I'm nosey too so yes, please let us know how things turn out. ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline navarrom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 March 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Navarrom.  When you didn't come back I thought for some reason you may not have been alerted that you had replies.  It would have been a shame to have missed out on receiving all that was found.  What a tragic end for poor William!

I'm nosey too so yes, please let us know how things turn out. ;D

Do come back and let us know what the marriage cert says about his father.
There is a quite possible William Aitchison in the earlier census returns in Dunbar, Haddingtonshire (parents James, a master tailor, and Mary).
I am nosey and like to know how things turn out :-)

Boo

It arrived today, and unfortunately, the name of William's dad and occupation, haven't helped to solved where he was in 1871 or earlier, or where abouts in Scotland he was born.

Date: 27th July 1873, Newcastle
Name: William Aitchison
Age: 26 years (so born C 1847, while on 1881 and later Censuses it was C 1845)
Condition: Bachelor
Residence at the time of Marriage: 27 George Street, West Newcastle (she lived at Railway Street)
Father's Name: John Aitchison
Occupation of Father: Labourer
Witnesses: James Reitch and William Frielding (no idea who they were).

John Aitchison isn't marked as deceased, so I assume, he was living but no in Newcastle.  I searched for all William Aitchison b. C 1845 +/- 2 years living in both, England and Scotland, and the only one I think it could be him, is one who is living as boarder.  So far I have checked on Ancestry, Family Search and Scotland People websites.
Bannister: Croston, Lancs.
Bell: Co. Antrim
Cochrane: Castlebar, Co. Mayo / Liverpool
Kilshaw: Tarbock, Lancs.
Lawson: Leyburn, Yorkshire
McGrady: Co. Antrim / Liverpool / Australia
Middleton: Yorkshire
Munden: Dorset
Plant: Liverpool / Yorkshire
Pressdee: Liverpool / Hertfordshire / Worcestershire
Whitfield: Tarbock, Lancs.
Whittaker: Kilkenny / Liverpool / India

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 March 19 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Before we all go firkling to see if we can help, can you confirm that the following is correct (and complete) so we don't go haring off on the wrong track :

c1843-1847 Birth- Scotland Father John, Mother ??
1851 ??
1861 ??
1871 ??

1873  27th July, Newcastle Marriage - to Sarah Munden. Age 26, (1847)

Children: (all with MMN of Munden in GRO database)
Elizabeth 1874
John  1875
Mary 1877
James 1879
Margaret 1880
Sarah March 1882
Jane Black 1885
William 1886
Emma Munden 1892

1881 2 Strawberry Lane, Newcastle, Piece5058/Folio40/Page21, Cabman, age 36 (1845)
1891 21 Maple St,  Newcastle, Piece4194/Folio37/ Page27, Hackney Coach Driver, age 47 (1844)
1901 39 Hewitt St, Gateshead, Piece4752/Folio29/ Page49, Coachman/Groom, age 57 (1844)
1902  8th Jan, Death, Gateshead, age 58, (1844)

If the above is correct, 3 of the children have middle names
Emma Munden (b1892) Munden was Sarah's maiden name so that makes sense
Sarah March (b1882)
Jane Black (b1885)

Do you have any record of surnames March or Black in Sarah's family? Its never writ in stone, but often family surnames were used as middle names and IF we find something then it may help if these names turn up as potential Aitchison marriages etc, but we'd need to discount them being from the Munden family.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 March 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
John Aitchison isn't marked as deceased, so I assume, he was living

I'm sorry to say this isn't a correct assumption. He could well have been deceased and the information not recorded/not asked for on the certificate.

There have been many threads on this very topic on Rootschat over the years.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 March 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Possibles, for your consideration:

I started with looking in the 1851 census, nearest to when he was born.
Searched for William Aitch*, born 1845 +/- 2 years in Scotland, looking anywhere in the UK
FindMyPast(England & Scotland) and SP (Scotland only, just a free search), with another person in the house called John, as both sites present the results in a format where you can highlight the results & copy and paste them into excel, which I like as its easier to sort and add notes)

Stuck all the results into Excel and checked the transcripts on FindMyPast and Ancestry to check and compare.
Discounting any where the Dad wasn't called John I was left with 3 - one of those was in Liverpool and Dad was a printer - discounted that one. Re-checked without the other person as John in case Dad died and Mam was a widow by 1851. Discounted those results as no widow Aitch* with a child called William.
- NB this would not preclude a widow Aitch* remarrying before 1851 and the child going by his step-dad's name but that would take more firkling than I currently have time for and we have to start somewhere :-)

I was left with two possibles:

1851 Dunbar, Haddingtonshire
John AITCHISON, Head, age 41, ag lab, Born Hutton, Berwickshire
Mary, wife, age 40, Born Spott, Haddingtonshire
Margaret, daughter, age 14, Ag lab, born Haddington
Jane, daughter, 12, born Haddington
Fanny, 10, age 8, born Edinburgh
Janet, daughter, age 8, born Edinburgh
William, son, age 5, born Dunbar
James, son, age 1, born Dunbar

1851 Grammar Hall, 19, Coldingham, Berwickshire

John AITCHISON, head, age 47, ag lab born Coldingham
Agnes, wife, age 42, born Coldingham
Archibald, son, age 12, born, Oldhamstocks, Haddingtonshire
John, son, 11, born Coldingham
William, age 8, born Coldingham

NB if you use Ancestry, they have that second family transcribed as 'Sitskson' (go figure that one!)

SP have baptisms for:
 William with parents John Aitchison and Mary (nee Muir) 09/08/1843, Dunbar
and
William with parents John Aitchison and Agnes (nee Strachan) 12/01/1842, Coldingham

Boo