Author Topic: Death lookup in Outremont, Montreal - 1946  (Read 649 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Death lookup in Outremont, Montreal - 1946
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year everyone.

I am trying to get my head around Quebec records and I believe I have found a record on findagrave which has an ancestor buried in Mont-Royal Cemetery in Outremont.

The records states that Isabella Miles died on August 22nd 1946 but I am struggling to find any kind of death entry to match this up. If she is my ancestor, she would have been in her 80th year in 1946. She was born Isabella Herd in Fife, Scotland, and emigrates to Quebec in 1925.

Is there any database that is hiding in plain sight that I can look her up on?

I'd appreciate help or being pointed in the right direction - Quebec records are somewhat new to me.

Thanks,
Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death lookup in Outremont, Montreal - 1946
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Obit here. Fingers crossed link will work.....

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19460823&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

PB

Added.....obit is on page 11, 1st column.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Obit here. Fingers crossed link will work.....

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19460823&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

PB

Added.....obit is on page 11, 1st column.

Well done polarbear.

Happy New Year
Sandra  ;D

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Well done and Happy New Year from me too PB. :)

The address given in the obit of 7224 Birnam, matches up to
Canada Voters List, 1935
Miles, Isabella, boarder
Mackie, Mrs. Constance, widow

There is a marriage Sept. 23, 1924 in Montreal, Presbyterian St. Mark Church
James Mackie, bachelor, son of George Mackie and Mary Reid of Kirkcaldy, Scotland and Constance
Elizabeth Bella Myles, spinster, daughter of the late Arthur Myles and Isabella Hert of 104
Salisbury Street, Kirkcaldy, Scotland. Witnessed by James Ross, and Elizabeth Morrison.

DB

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and Happy New Year to you both as well  :)

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and Happy New Year to you too Matt.

Obit. for James Mackie, Sept. 11, 1933, Page 8, top of page
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19330911&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
James Mackie, Acting Investigator of Canadian Pacific Railway while on duty was shot and killed on
Friday. It is expected that the funeral will be one of the largest accorded to a member of the police
dept., who died while on duty. Survived by wife Constance Myles, one son J*, ....

Sept 9, 1933, page 4, a long article "CPR Investigator shot by car thief dies from wounds"
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19330909&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

DB

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again everyone.

Apologies - the notification of replies had gone into my junk folder - rude!

Wow - what can I say?

Thank you for all of this fantastic information - especially the obituaries and the newspaper reports into James Mackie's murder. That has come as a real shock but one that has meant I can now trace his descendants to try and make contact with them. It's a sad, sad story, isn't it?

I have been trying to find Isabella for years now and have often thought something within this family seemed awry. No marriage to be found for her in the UK and her husband disappears without a trace before she and Constance move to Canada. This now helps me close a specific part of the story, but I'm still fascinated.

i'll have a look through the Montreal Gazette papers when I get some more spare time as I'd quite like to find out what happened to the men who killed James. the report from the funeral certainly seems to paint a picture of it being quite an event.

It must have been awful for Constance :(

Thanks again - I sincerely appreciate the help :)

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk