Author Topic: James Ayres  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
James Ayres
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
My great uncle James Ayres (1888-c1965) migrated according to my family in 1903. The source is that he said to his older brother my grandfather about an expected baby "If its a boy call him Jim after me.
My mother Emily Hannah (nee) Ayres was born in September 1903 and died in 2003, throughout her 99  years and 3 months within the family she was known as Jim.
Sources in Australia say he arrived there in 1908, so which was it, and if 1908 where was he for the next 5 years?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Ayres
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Would you let us know details of James Parent's names and the place of his birth, also have you any idea where in Australia he resided ?

regards

Cass

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Is this his death?
NSW, 1965 # 21426
James AYRES, parents: James, Emily

There are 5 other deaths in NSW in with surname AYRES and 2 forenames - this is the only death with just James.

Each state in Australia records its own BMDs  so he could be in any other state.

This is possibly the burial details of the man above:
James AYRES, 76
Death Date:   4 May 1965
Burial Place: Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney, New South Wales,
Section:   19, Row:   8,  Denomination:   Anglican
Rookwood is a huge cemetery.

I cannot see him on the National Archives (Australia) immigration record but the records aren't very good for that time.  He was a British Citizen (all Australians were also at that time) so no naturalisation needed.  I do not see him on the WW1 records either.

Not much help - Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 19 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Death and funeral notices for the 1965 James, first page:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC&dat=19650506&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Death:

12097/1966  AYRES Violet Louise parents JESSE and HARRIETT PARRAMATTA

James and Violet buried together:

Violet A/O AYRES aged 72 21-3-1966 Zone E Section 19 Grave 1157

March not available on Google archives :-\:

AYRES Violet Louise Death notice 3-3-1966 Death 72 late of Granville SMH 7-3-1966

Marriage: 9383/1916 AYRES James and CRAFT Violet L SYDNEY

Children’s births:

31115/1917 AYRES Clyde C parents JAMES and VIOLET L GULGONG died 1917

47386/1918 AYRES PHYLLIS M parents JAMES and VIOLET L MUDGEE died 2000
CLEWS Phyllis Death notice   30-11-2000 Death 82 late of Umina Central Coast Express Advocate 1-12-2000
Her husband, William:
Death: 103531/1976 CLEWS William Stanley parents THOMAS and NELLIE
Death notice, 1st page: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC&dat=19760608&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Husband of one of daughter mentioned in James’ death notice. There is a possible notice for her, but she may still be living.

INGRAM Kevin Death notice 1-11-2009 Death 79 late of Merrygoen, formerly of Neilrex Dubbo Daily Liberal 4-112009

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 19 02:55 GMT (UK) »
I see that we have the correct folk as James’ death notice show the LIMBY (as per your other thread) connection.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 19 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Agh,  well spotted Jamjar ...

The NSW BDM d.c. or an official transcription should show his origins and how long he had lived in Australia ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your valuable help. Will come back later now on smartphone access limited.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks indeed. If I can ever help please PM me. Look out for a PM over the next few days.
Roger

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 March 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I am now starting to put things together again after a longish layoff primarily due to eyesight problems using a computer, basically getting over the removal of a cataract. All OK now so I am back in harness. The parents of my relative (great uncle) were James Ayres and Emily Cornwell (both b Bottisham/Lode Cambs 1844 and 1850 respectively)  I think I hope most of the family now, thanks very much, but seem to have lost touch with the Limbys. I am still baffled by the discrepency in dates, the date I have for his migration is 1903, seemingly born out by the apparent statement about my grandmothers impending birth "If its a boy call him Jim" As my mother "Jim" was born in September 1903 it suggests that he left the Cambridge area sometime during the summer of 1903. Anyone help please?