Author Topic: Catholic Parish boundaries for: Wicklow Glendalough, Bray early 1800s  (Read 1006 times)

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Parish boundaries for: Wicklow Glendalough, Bray early 1800s
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am researching family records from the early 1800s for  a number of families (who were perhaps branches of the same family) that are recorded in a few Wicklow parishes and I am wondering if anyone may have knowledge of where the parish boundaries might have extended to at that time.

In particular for the Wicklow Roman Catholic parish how far on the Newtown side of Ashford might the parish have extended to?

Also the parish of Glendalough included Roundwood at that time and I am looking at a family that lived in Knockraheen so I am wondering if they might be included in Glendalough in the early 1800s. The parish of Kilquade records start in 1826 and they appear there from that time so I don't know if there were earlier records from Kilmurray/Kilquade that have not survived or if Knockraheen would have been part of Glendalough before 1826?

Thirdly I am looking at records from early 1800s for a branch of the family that lived in the Calary area and also the townland of Ballyeskin. Early on those living in Calary appear in the Bray records, also the family living in Ballyeskin appear in Bray for some of the baptisms and in Enniskerry for others, so I am wondering how far on the kilmacanogue/Roundwood Enniskerry side did the Bray parish include in the early 1800s?

Thanks Margaret

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Parish boundaries for: Wicklow Glendalough, Bray early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 22:47 GMT (UK) »
If you look at each parish on Irish Ancestors, link at the bottom of the main page of each parish https://registers.nli.ie/, than use Click here for a listing of placenames in this parish, will bring you to the Civil Parishes in the RC parish, click on each of them and you get a list of townlands and modern map.

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Parish boundaries for: Wicklow Glendalough, Bray early 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 01:01 GMT (UK) »
 Sinann thanks very much, that information is very useful. Margaret