Author Topic: Help with printing out my entire tree!!  (Read 1248 times)

Offline emeloe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with printing out my entire tree!!
« on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!!
Was wondering if someone could direct me to the right place! I have my tree online at Ancestry.com and would like to see my whole tree printed out in front of me, literally. In order for me to do more research it will be easier for me to see the tree this way.  It does not have to be nice or fancy, just the nuts and bolts so I can do further research. 

It is oftentimes difficult to see the tree in its entirety as I have a long line of Irish and Norwegian ancestors.   I have tried printing out various parts and pasting them together, but it turns out to be a mess!  If anyone has an idea of how I can do this, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!
Erica

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with printing out my entire tree!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 19 07:42 GMT (UK) »
It all depends how many people you have in your database - i.e. how large the resultant print would be. If it is really big your only way (short of buying an expensive printer/plotter) is to have one of the tree printing companies do it for you.

It may be, though, that you can reduce the size of the print sufficiently to make printing over several sheets viable (especially as you don't need it fancy). Have a look at TreeDraw from Spansoft. Using Gedcom as input it will generate charts of ancestors or descendants (composite charts can be created by merging them together). The main difference from charts generated by other programs is that all the elements can be moved, thus making it possible to make the chart much smaller.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Different people have different ideas of what a 'whole tree' includes. It is relatively easy to print out a pedigree chart of direct line ancestors, or a descendancy chart from a single ancestor, but once you start including side branches it quickly becomes confusing if you have more than a few generations.

TreeDraw will certainly produce any of the above but it might be BIG!  ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
First I would suggest creating a "trimmed" version of your Ancestry tree, i.e. just the people you want to appear on your printed version. Probably just your ancestors... if you try to fit all their siblings on, it may become a bit unwieldy. Then you can download the Gedcom file from Ancestry and use it with something like TreeDraw - I've not used it myself though.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 19 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I've got two suggestions. Firstly I have had success importing a gedcom file into treeview. I have printed two different trees of almost 200 people, printed out onto 16 pages of PDF which then need literal cutting and pasting.

The other, which isn't exactly printing is to use a website called zoompast. It works in much the same way as a digital map allowing you to zoom in on particular parts of the tree. Again you just need to import a gedcom file.

MARTIN

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Most genealogy software has the ability to create various charts, and most have a free trial version for download.

If you want to have a box for EVERYONE in your tree, things get VERY complicated. How would you show the ancestors of cousins?

A chart of direct ancestors is quite simple. A chart showing the descendants of a person is also simple, but can be enormous. For my one-name study I produced a chart of the descendants of one person born in 1749, and the result would cover 18 sheets of A0 paper.

I must say I like the look of the link Silvery posted.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline emeloe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 19 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
This is fantastic, thank you!!!  I forgot about the gedcom file from Ancestry.  I have never used tree draw before but am willing to give it a go. My tree is very big but I think I am only going to start with my maternal side of the family first.   Thank you so much for all the suggestions!  Will keep you posted!!