Author Topic: Identification of Uniform please & approx date  (Read 819 times)

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Identification of Uniform please & approx date
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Could someone please identify the type of uniform our solider is wearing and approximate date as well please.

We appreciate any help, thank you.

Di Maloney on behalf
Hastings-Western Port Historical Society
Esse, Cooper, Mahony/Mahoney, Krause, Klemke, Schreiber, Duff,  - UK/Australia/Europe/

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of Uniform please & approx date
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 19 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Similar to the 1st S.A. Company during the Boer War:

https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+248/4/1-58

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Tony - I believe it is not South African.

After posting my original request, I did some research for the 'badge' on the sleeve and found the attached on this website.  http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/cloth-overview.htm   
I hope this will help identify the uniform.

Cheers,
Di
Esse, Cooper, Mahony/Mahoney, Krause, Klemke, Schreiber, Duff,  - UK/Australia/Europe/

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 19 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Similar to the 1st S.A. Company during the Boer War:

https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+248/4/1-58

Tony

1st South Australian Company sent to South Africa to fight in the Boer War
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 19 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Tony, I thought S.A. stood for South Africa.

I did look at the site but my mind just focused on the S.A. meaning that I got wrong.

I am looking at it again.

Cheers,
Di

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 19 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thanks to your link, I am sure about the uniform but I am unable to find an image with the badge on the sleeve near the cuff as in my image.

We have enough information to write a small article about the unknown soldier that we will display with our image in it's frame.

Thank you so much.

Cheers, Di

Offline T1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Many Australian units wore similar uniforms to this before federation in 1901.  The very rounded pocket flaps seen are are characteristic of Victorian units (I think your society is in Victoria?).  Most Victorian units wore khaki uniforms like this in the 1890s, but only a couple had coloured collars and cuffs.  Based on the long, curved brass shoulder title, I am 99 percent certain this is a member of the "Victorian Rangers".  This was Victoria's "volunteer" (i.e. unpaid, part time) infantry regiment.

Note the style of cap worn is from the late-1890s to early 1900s.  For comparison see this photo from the early 1900s at the Australian War Memorial site: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2083541. Note the identical cap in two colours.  For interest, you can see what the tunic was like in colour here: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C110042

Finally, I would note that the marksman's badge on the sleeve was for individuals, it doesn't identify the regiment, and most Rangers would not have worn it.  As it happens, the AWM example above does have it, however.

Tim

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your reply - I was able to capture an image of the uniform in colour which will make our little display more interesting to our visitors.  We are a local history museum in Victoria on Western Port Bay and try our best to be correct. Your information has helped us tremendously.

Thank you.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,
Di