Author Topic: Which WW1 Scottish regiment dress uniform is this?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which WW1 Scottish regiment dress uniform is this?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Found this strand very interesting as I have a photo of an ancestor in uniform from 1907 and the uniform closely matched the one in the photo above. When looking at my photo early last year I had no idea which regiment he was in so I played around with Google and found a picture of some soldiers that lead me to believe my ancestor was in the Highland Light Infantry. As I started reading this strand, I started to doubt my assumption about the HLI thinking that he may instead have been in the Black Watch. Then Tim's detailed explanation reinforced/reinstated my earlier (lucky) assumption about the HLI. I have also just managed to find the picture of the HLI soldiers. It is dated circa. 1903-1907 and is titled 5th (Glasgow Highland) Volunteer Battalion, The Highland Light Infantry. This ties in exactly with what Tim said. Another piece I found stated that the HLI was the only regular Highland regiment to wear trews for full dress, the exception being the Glasgow Highlanders who wore kilts and were a territorial battalion within the HLI. Don't suppose anyone knows if there are any records relating to the 5th (Glasgow Highland) HLI enlistments pre WW1. I haven't been able to find any mention of them anywhere.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, quite complicated!     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Highlanders

Skoosh.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 January 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Don't suppose anyone knows if there are any records relating to the 5th (Glasgow Highland) HLI enlistments pre WW1. I haven't been able to find any mention of them anywhere.

Volunteers were the responsibility of the local county (in England) authorities rather than the War Office.  Scotland may have had other arrangements but an approach to the Glasgow City Archives and/or one of the Lanarkshire Archives may prove fruitful.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 January 19 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Max, Glasgow was a city county so you'll be right.

https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/glasgow-city-archives

Skoosh.

Offline dhmm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 January 19 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! All very helpful information! He lived and retired in Glasgow so this makes a lot of sense. His service record is not available online but I'll try and get it and will let you know if that confirms your suggestions.
MILLAR, Forfarshire; TURNER, Rutland; MARJORAM, Suffolk; CHAMBERLAIN, Norfolk; HARDWICK, Northamptonshire