Author Topic: Will inventory of 1634  (Read 255 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will inventory of 1634
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 08:56 GMT (UK) »
This is the last part of the inventory of a will of 1634. I can read just a little bit of it, but would be very grateful for a transcription. (I seem to have far more wills, of people I’m almost certainly related to, from the “difficult handwriting era” than from more recent times, unfortunately).

Dave :)

(Will of William Lea of Coton, 1634. Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will inventory of 1634
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Itm in the bakehouse certayne woodden
implements                                                                   o -- iiij s
Itm in the workehouse certayne woodd                        o -- iiij s
Itm in the barne corne and hay                                   vj l -- o
Itm three cowes, two yonge beastes 
and one calfe                                                                 x l  -- o
Itm one swine                                                                o -- v s
Itm fourteene sheepe                                                   iiij l - x s
Itm corne growinge upon the grownde                        ij l -- o
Itm two sheepskinns                                                    o -- iij s
Itm two peeces of wood                                               o -- j s
Itm a debt oweinge by Richard Palmer                        o -- xviiij s

The totalle som(m)e is xxxiij l -- o

Richard frisbey (?)
Hugh ? his marke
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I think the total sum is xxxvijl (rather than xxxiijl), but I haven't calculated it.

First signatory is Nicholas ffrisbey.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks goldie61 and Bookbox. I wonder if I am correct in thinking that a “beaste” is a bullock. Presumably a calf, as now, was a very young bovine of either sex and “hever” is used in another will of this period, so maybe “beaste” was the male age-equivalent. On the other hand, the 1590 estate document I posted an extract from recently set out the number of “shepe” and “beste” which each tenant could graze on the common field, suggesting that in that context “beste” maybe simply meant “cattle”?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight