Author Topic: William WHITE of Stockwell born 1750ish  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William WHITE of Stockwell born 1750ish
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All - I know from the Sessions Books at the LMA that William WHITE held the license at the Swan at Stockwell from 1792 until 1804.  Possibly earlier and possibly later, but those records are not available to view.  He possibly had a son John born around 1773 and another son Thomas born around 1783.  That is all I know.  I have searched 'Ancestry' for church records - William's marriage, son's baptisms, etc. without success.  Any ideas welcomed.
Thanks in advance, Carl  :)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William WHITE of Stockwell born 1750ish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 19 12:52 GMT (UK) »
There were about 4 of each John & Thomas on A….y around the dates you mention, sadly I was unable to find common parents.
I’m not sure if the following will help but it’s the best I can come up with except for Thomas.

William of the parish below married Priscilla Parker 23 Apr 1772 St Mary, Whitechapel
Priscilla was buried at St Michael 10 Sep 1775

John White    Baptism    11 Nov 1773   St Michael, Crooked Lane, City of London. William & Priscilla

William White otp widower married Elizabeth Smedley 13 Feb 1780 St Michael Crooked Lane

Children baptised St Michael Crooked Lane

Elizabeth 7 Dec 1780, Abraham 13 May 1781, William 24 Feb 1782, James 4 Sep 1783

Then the following baptisms at St Mary at Lambeth

Abraham 13 May 1781 the same date as above.
Elizabeth 25 Dec 1782, Ann 28 Mar 1784, Charlotte 25 Dec 1785, Sarah 2 Nov 1788

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin, many thanks for your assistance.

I have come across the WHITE's of Crooked Lane before whilst searching through wills and whilst they didn't look promising then I will check them out again.  For the record there were two brothers Robert and William, both described as millmakers.  Robert's will of 1792 left everything to brother William.  William's will of 1798 left everything to his two sons William and James.  William snr. stated in his will that he had tenements in Cold Harbour Lane, Camberwell and also a factory in St George, Southwark.  Of course Camberwell and Southwark are not too far away from Stockwell, but then again White's are ten a penny.

The Swan Inn was and still is, in the centre of Stockwell.  Which church is relevant to that parish in latter half of the 18c and how can I tell if all the church records have been transcribed and are on Ancestry?

Thanks again for you help. Carl

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
St Mary at Lambeth was founded before 1086. It closed before 1972. It was less than 2 miles from the Swan.

As far as I can see on GENUKI there were only 2 Anglican Churches in Stockwell.

St Andrew, Landor Road, Stockwell was founded in 1767. (Not on A....ry

St Michael, Stockwell was founded in 1841.

By the way you mentioned the name Thomas on your original post, how sure are you of that name?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Colin.  Two miles is perhaps a long way, especially for someone who presumably worked a 7 day week.  So if he attended anywhere I would conclude that it had to be St Andrews.

Thomas was my 4xg grandfather.  In his will of 1850 he refers to his wife as Susannah (no marriage record found).  Their first son William Samuel White was born in 1802 (no baptismal record found) but he was baptised as an adult in 1823 at St Mary's, Newington.  If the age given on her grave is correct then Susannah was 12 or 13 when WSW was born, which might account for why no marriage or baptismal record has been found.  In contrast Thomas's brother John who became an innkeeper in Hampton (Court) and later Windsor left a marriage record (Charlotte Ansell at St Mary's, Lambeth) and 5 children's baptismal records around Hampton.

Thanks again, Carl

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 19 18:36 GMT (UK) »
The records at St Andrews only cover the period from 1788 – 1947 the year the youngest daughter if it was them was born.

I note that the Robert you mention was buried at St Michael, Crooked Lane in 1792

Colin

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin. Thanks again, I could have spent months looking into this and getting nowhere and so your help has been invaluable.  I conclude that I am unlikely to ever be able to access the church records for St Andrews between 1750 ish and 1788 and so I will have to draw a line on church records here.

Next steps - Some time ago I scanned through over 1000 WHITE wills about this period.  That was before I had the Christian name of William and the connection with Stockwell, and so as a next step I will go over these again.  I will also look more closely at the mill-makers of Crooked Lane - they are not the innkeepers that I am looking for, but might be cousins.  Finally I will ask the LMA if they can think of any other records that might be useful to me.  I am not optimistic, but as they say 'its (sometimes) darkest before dawn'.

Thanks again, Carl

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:03 GMT (UK) »
H Carl

I presume the burial below provided the year of birth?
Thomas White   Burial 67 (1783)   29 Jul 1850   Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth,
Abode Newington Causeway

Sadly no 1841 census that I can find.

A couple of entries from The London Directory.
William White
1790 & 1795
17, Crooked Lane, Cannon Street
London, England
Mill maker

William White
1802 – only entry
Stockwell
London, England
Swan tavern

Good luck Colin

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Colin.  Thomas and Susanna can be found in the 1841 by searching - Thomas White, b. abt 1786, Innkeeper, St Mary Newington. 

In the 1851 census Thomas has of course passed on whilst widow Susanna is listed at same address as a 46 year old tavern keeper b. Stockwell.  Amongst the staff is 39 year old niece Maria White who led me to Thomas's brother John in Windsor.  I got lucky there.

Cheers Carl