Author Topic: Marriage certificate help -Please  (Read 1930 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate help -Please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 January 19 04:26 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea of what that extract is either.  The names are abbreviated just as they are on the 1861 census, so it looks to me that someone has taken the names from the index, then added in the "Other Name" column, as it certainly doesn't appear on the actual census.  If that is the case, perhaps they found the name Hains on some other document, such as William's marriage certificate.

The full family:
John McLean   Head   Married    age 56   General Labourer  born Ireland
Rachel McLean  Wife  Married    age 55     no occupation                born Ireland
Esther McLean  Daur  Unmarried  age 23   no occupation                 born Ireland
Wm. McLean     Son   Unmarried  age 14   Woollen weaver    born Ireland
Archd McLean   son unmarried  age 12   scholar           born Peeblessh Peebles
Robert McLean son  unmarried  age 6    scholar           born Peeblessh Peebles
Alexr McLean  son   unmarried  age 4   scholar           born Peeblessh Peebles
William McLean grandson  unmarried age 1          -       born Peeblessh Peebles

Snippet from the actual census page:

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 January 19 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Some members of this family are in Penicuik Midlothian in census 1871-1891 (Alexander) and Archibald. 

It may be a good idea to get out the 1841 & 1851 mentions in the Irish census for those dates. Although these two census were subsequently lost, extracts from them were made when Irish born Scottish resident citizens who might be eligible for the Old Age Pension completed a form. This was   then sent it to Ireland where the details were checked to see if they appeared in the census. In effect a birth certictae substitute.

A Rachel Mccormack submitted details to be checked and this is the extract from Family Search

Rachel Mccormack
Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851
Name   Rachel Mccormack
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1841
Townland   Straid
Parish   Ahoghill
Barony   Toome Upper
County   Antrim
Event Place   Ahoghill, Antrim, Ireland
Relationship to Head of Household   Applicant

I think the actual forms are on either Ancestry or Find my past.  If this the mother of Esther McLean then it will give an idea of where in Ireland the mother's family came from.   

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 January 19 07:48 GMT (UK) »
The Census search forms are free to view on National Archives Ireland
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7w/

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 January 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies!

William features twice in the 1861 census. He is also a lodger staying with his Aunt Paterson’s. He is listed as William Bain and Rachel McLain and Robert are there also. Newlands, Peebles.

On Williams birth certificate it has just Esther and states his is illegitimate. On his death certificate he puts Esther McLean & James McLean - obviously fictitious to save embarrassment.

I’m not sure where in Ireland Esther was born, the only knowledge I have of her parents come from her brother Alexander McLeans birth certificate. He was born in 1855 in Peebles.

JohnMcLean abt 1809 • Donoughmore, County Down who married Rachel McCormick abt 1811 • Lisadian Townland, Loughgilly Parish, County Armagh.
As I understand it, although it’s two different counties, they are both close to each other as the crow flys.

William is my GGGrandfather.

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 January 19 20:58 GMT (UK) »
As you are descended from William Hains/Mclean do you still want any further info about the marriage certificate Mclean/Hoolihan?

If not and you want further searching for either of his McLean/McCormack grandparents perhaps make a new thread on one of the Irish County Boards on Rootschat. 

As far as who the father may be have you searched for a James Mclean just in case it is correct.

Have you had your DNA done? You might find more information about William's father/family this way if someone in his father's family has had theirs done? 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
As you are descended from William Hains/Mclean do you still want any further info about the marriage certificate Mclean/Hoolihan?

If not and you want further searching for either of his McLean/McCormack grandparents perhaps make a new thread on one of the Irish County Boards on Rootschat. 

As far as who the father may be have you searched for a James Mclean just in case it is correct.

Have you had your DNA done? You might find more information about William's father/family this way if someone in his father's family has had theirs done?

Thank you again for your reply! You’ve been really helpful, I’m still a novice at this.

Searching the Hoolahans was really a distraction because I was so stuck on Esther. I’d pretty much given up going back to McCormack & McLean as I’ve struggled with finding Irish records - but I will add another post on here in the Irish section.

I’m going to email the Scottish Indexes website and ask them about the connection between Esther, William & the Hain surname. Although I guess it’s just due to the two separate entries on the 1861 census - they could possibly have more information. It’s a whole line that is missing in my tree!

Funnily enough my DNA test has just dropped through the letterbox this morning! Here’s hoping it helps me out abit!

Many thanks again!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 January 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I took a look at the Scottish Index site, and they have a disclaimer about anything written in italics (note that "Hains" was written as "Hains") as follows :

N.B. Notes which appear in italics above do not appear in the original records and are supplied from our own research. Alternative surnames (also in italics) have been either inferred as a possibility from the context of the record itself or supplied from other research. The idea behind this is to make it easier to find individuals who may have had more than one surname, but should not to be taken as evidence that the alternative surname shown ever applied to that person.

Hopefully they have kept notes of where they got the Hains!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I took a look at the Scottish Index site, and they have a disclaimer about anything written in italics (note that "Hains" was written as "Hains") as follows :

N.B. Notes which appear in italics above do not appear in the original records and are supplied from our own research. Alternative surnames (also in italics) have been either inferred as a possibility from the context of the record itself or supplied from other research. The idea behind this is to make it easier to find individuals who may have had more than one surname, but should not to be taken as evidence that the alternative surname shown ever applied to that person.

Hopefully they have kept notes of where they got the Hains!

Wow BBart! Thank you for that! Fingers crossed they get back to me soon.