Author Topic: Marriage certificate help -Please  (Read 1939 times)

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate help -Please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 19 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes that’s it Jamjar!

Honestly Esther has been a right toil! When I found this marriage certificate I thought my luck had come in!!

That’ll teach me for celebrating early!! 😂

Esther was born in Ireland but other brothers and sisters born in Peebles.

Could a clue be in Timothys occupation? Private in 25th Regiment stationer at Edinburgh Castle - could he be Irish and in that regiment?

No offence to the Irish but I hope he isn’t! I’m having a hard time enough with the McLeans in Ireland - I don’t need any more 😂😂😂

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 19 06:04 GMT (UK) »
The Irish were great suppliers of soldiers to the Army.  The Irish were also great suppliers of labour to Scottish industry. So if they were not locally recruited (in Ireland) then the chidlren of the Irish who came to work in Scotland could also have joined in Scotland. Have you been able to track Timothy's Army records?

When/where did they (Esther & Timothy)  die and what details were on their certificates.

Not to put you off but Hoolahan is what I would class as an Irish name and it can be spelled in many ways depending usually on what someone heard.
Houlihan
hooligan
Hoolagan
hallihan
halligan
Halliighan
Hoolighan
Even
Woolihan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:44 GMT (UK) »
@shan
The Irish were great suppliers of soldiers to the Army.  The Irish were also great suppliers of labour to Scottish industry. So if they were not locally recruited (in Ireland) then the chidlren of the Irish who came to work in Scotland could also have joined in Scotland. Have you been able to track Timothy's Army records?

When/where did they (Esther & Timothy)  die and what details were on their certificates.

Not to put you off but Hoolahan is what I would class as an Irish name and it can be spelled in many ways depending usually on what someone heard.
Houlihan
hooligan
Hoolagan
hallihan
halligan
Halliighan
Hoolighan
Even
Woolihan

Thank you for your reply!

I have no idea about birth or death of Esther (other than info on census) and absolutely none on Timothy!

The Hoolahan thing just adds to my list of woes. I nearly gave up trying with Esther - now Timothy is making me feel the same!

:(

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 January 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
There is the possibility that the marriage did not survive, if the following is the same Tim as yours.  I found the following newspaper snippet:

Caledonian Mercury  08 August 1863

SHERIFF CRIMINAL COURT - Friday
(Before Sheriff Arkley.)

Timothy Hoolihan, a private in the 25th Re-
giment pleaded guilty to using indecent liberties
with a young girl on the public road near Milton
Cottages on the 11th ultimo; and was sentenced
to six months' imprisonment.

I doubt Esther could have afforded a divorce, so if she met a new man, she may have just assumed his surname as if they were married, as she couldn't legally remarry until Tim died.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 January 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
There is the possibility that the marriage did not survive, if the following is the same Tim as yours.  I found the following newspaper snippet:

Caledonian Mercury  08 August 1863

SHERIFF CRIMINAL COURT - Friday
(Before Sheriff Arkley.)

Timothy Hoolihan, a private in the 25th Re-
giment pleaded guilty to using indecent liberties
with a young girl on the public road near Milton
Cottages on the 11th ultimo; and was sentenced
to six months' imprisonment.

I doubt Esther could have afforded a divorce, so if she met a new man, she may have just assumed his surname as if they were married, as she couldn't legally remarry until Tim died.

Wow!! That’s amazing! It would tie in with the timescales!

Poor Esther - she certainly could pick them!

I wonder if you could solve another mystery? On Scottish Indexes in the 1861 census Esther McLean is 23 and her son William is noted as illegitimate- but under ‘other name’ it states Hains.
Could Hains be Williams father?

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 January 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
On Scottish Indexes in the 1861 census Esther McLean is 23 and her son William is noted as illegitimate- but under ‘other name’ it states Hains.
Could Hains be Williams father?

I just took a look at the 1861, and it just says grandson for William.... I don't see "other name" or Hains anywhere on the census...?

Do you have a marriage or death certificate for William?  If the name of his father was known, it is possible it would be listed on them.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 January 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully this works!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 January 19 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Not sure where the extract is from and you must have other information to show that William McLean is the son of Esther as from the  extract that has been put up he could easily be the son of any of the McLean siblings - the boys? Though more usual for the daughter to have her child with her than for a male to but not unknown.  Even this day I know of a child who is being brought up by the father and his parents.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 January 19 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Just going back to the marriage certificate could the maiden surname of Julia Hoolihan be Drischil or as is more usual in Ireland Driscoll or O'Driscoll.  There are large numbers in Co Kerry & Cork.

I will do some more looking around.....though these are the parents of Timothy Hoolihan and is he an ancestor or a husband of your Ancestor Esther McLean/Hoolihan/Hains?

In the census extract with William Mclean just confirming that he was born before Esther and Timothy married. Is William your ancestor?

Have you found the McLeans/McCormacks in Ireland?