Author Topic: Maguires of Aghyoule  (Read 2000 times)

Offline robertvillesearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maguires of Aghyoule
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Having been reading some posts it seems that there are some people here with a fantastic knowledge of this part of Fermanagh.  My great great grandfather was called Richard Maguire born 1821 died in 1901 in Kilnaleck Co Cavan and is listed as a fruit dealer.   He was married to Mary (Extract from the 1851 census)  and was living in Kilnaleck in 1856 (Griffiths valuation)  His daughter Margaret is my great grandmother and I cant find a record of her birth in 1847 tho maybe not surprising as this would have been mid famine as was hoping to find her mothers maiden name but no luck.  I have recently found a record for a Pat and Ann Maguire born 1839 and 1845 respectively to Mary and Richard Maguire in Aghyoule Knockninny Co Fermanagh which is not far over the border from Kilnaleck.  Wondering if this could be the same Richard and Mary?  Family lore says the Maguires came from Northern Ireland and were connected to flax.  I know Kinawley/ Knockninny was a big flax growing area so have a feeling I may be on to something.  Be very grateful if anyone has any inside information on the families living in Aghyoule around 1840.  BTW my GGM Margaret married William Mc Kenna who was a baker and they had a shop in Kilnaleck.  Many thanks in anticipation.  Annemarie  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maguires of Aghyoule
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I make Crosserlough as the Parish..

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0826
but you need to be careful as it was an extremely popular name and you will find an avalanche of Maguires in the area.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark.  I had already looked at the nli records but decided to look again 1 year before her birth year 1847 and 9 years after as there were some discrepancies on her death cert and census return.  No luck again and this time I was looking just for her parents in case she had been baptised one name and then known as a different name.....I also tried the nli records for Knockninny they dont start until 1855.  I have trees on Ancestry and My Heritage and have even subscribed briefly to Roots Ireland but cannot find her anywhere.  Unfortunately I live in the middle east so not easy to pop into the local historical society to see if they can help.. Appreciate your help nevertheless.  Thank you.   :)I was hoping someone might have known the Maguire family in Aghyoule.  Long shot I know but when desperate....One thing in my favour is that there are not that many Richard Maguires around but boy was I glad I was not looking for a Lynch/Smith or Reilly! 

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Extracted from A Balfour Rent Roll of 1636 for the Townlands of:

Aghihould  [Aghyoule]  1 great tate Knocketegall [Knockateggal] & Gartevilley  [Gartavally??] 1 great tate Gortmoylan [Gortmullan] & Selton [Shilton - now part of Gortmullan]  1 great tate

Text entered reads: All this sett by yor selfe to  to Redmond oge Magwire from all Saints last at will for £25 per Anum. the Kings rent and Countrey charges,  without customs. [As Written].

Your new "Target" I Guess. I would start by finding the linage of Redmond Oge Magwire. There are quite a lot of Maguire/McGuire/Magwire family history's out there, so use several variations and cross check them!! Good Luck, have fun, you may get lucky.

Try this to get you started:
https://archive.org/details/meguidhirfhearma00dinn/page/n7

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rusty

Thank you so much.  I dont quite know how to research that far back but going to give it a go.  I have read the first 20 pages of the Maguires of Fermanagh and it is fascinating.  So even if I  never find my Richard Maguire I will have a fantastic overview of the Maguires.  Are you a Maguire?  I have been  focused on the micro climate but the macro climate is even more interesting.  Thanks again.  Annemarie   :D

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annemarie,

I have sent you a message. I do have more things that may be of help. Not related to any Maguire family. However I have done a lot of work researching around this part of Fermanagh looking for my own Roots.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
have you look on family search

http://www.familysearch.org

Townland Kilnleck, parish Crosserlough census of 1841 Richard the Father and a Margaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rathmore

Thank you very much for your reply.  This is indeed my GGM Margaret Mc Kenna who applied to the census of 1851 ( the record says 1851 and 1841 when you open it) for proof of her DOB as she turned 70 in 1917 and needed proof of her age to claim her pension.  I had found this ..cant remember now where but thank you for looking and passing on the information.

Kind regards

Annemarie

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »

Townland Kilnaleck, parish Crosserlough census of 1841 Richard the Father and a Margaret

For reference:
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246686/007246686_00587.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo