Author Topic: Record of Wesleyan burial in village cemetery?  (Read 667 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Record of Wesleyan burial in village cemetery?
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I have some burials for which I can find no record in the parish register. I know that a daughter was buried in 1894 in the village cemetery and her father in the same plot in 1940. These burials are in the parish church register, and I understand that the mother was buried in the same plot in 1926 (info from the parish clerk’s office). Likewise, the parents of this mother are missing from the parish register. However, I’m pretty sure that they were Wesleyans and so maybe their burials are in a Methodist register? It seems odd, however, that the mother of the girl may have had a Weslyan service if her daughter appears in the C of E register.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Record of Wesleyan burial in village cemetery?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 19 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I know that a daughter was buried in 1894 in the village cemetery and her father in the same plot in 1940.
Is it a cemetery or a church graveyard?
Cowban

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused, not very difficult in my case  :)

You say "I can find no record in the parish register" and then "these burials are in the parish church register".

To my mind the parish register and parish church register are one and the same.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
It is a cemetry in a village, a few hundred yards beyond the churchyard. Baby Annie died in 1894 and was buried. The parish register entry has the annotation  “cemetery”. Thomas (father) died in 1940.
His burial is in the parish register. It does not say “cemetery”, probably because by this time all burials were in the cemetery.

Annie’s mother, Mary (Thomas’s wife) died in 1926. The (civil) parish office informed me that Annie, Mary and Thomas share the same grave plot (no headstone). But there is no parish register entry for Mary’s burial.

Mary’s parents died in 1914 and 1917 in this same village. There is no parish register record of either burial. However, I’m fairly sure that they were Methodists. So I wonder whether it is likely that Mary and her parents may have had Methodist burials?

Just to make matters even more complicated, only two of Mary and Thomas’s six children were baptised in the parish church (though another may have had an “emergency” baptism at home). Maybe the others had Methodist baptism?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us full names of those you wish to have checked please?  It would help when checking other possible sources for their burial records.  :)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the clarification  :)  Can I assume that there is a Methodist chapel in the area, and that it has/had a graveyard?  You may have to seek the registers for the chapel - sometimes difficult as they may still be with the chapel or have been destroyed, rather than submitted to the Records Office.

Have you tried looking at newspapers for the 1914 and 1917 deaths?
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Does the Church own and manage the Cemetery??  If  not, unless there was a Church service for the funeral then there would not be a record in the Parish Registers.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I’m pretty sure that they were Wesleyans and so maybe their burials are in a Methodist register?

Whatever their denomination, if they were buried in the cemetery (as opposed to the churchyard) I'd have thought that their burials should be entered in the cemetery register,
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry, I didn’t really make it clear that there is no doubt that Mary was buried in the same plot as her daughter and that I have little doubt that her parents were buried in the same cemetery (something I could check but I think it exceedingly unlikely that they are not buried here: their family connections with the village are very old). It was really the actual chapel (?) record rather than the cemetery record I was hoping to find. There was a Wesleyan chapel in the village (now deconsecrated), in fact Eliza was “chapelkeeper” in a Census. This chapel has no graveyard of its own.