Author Topic: SHAND family  (Read 2205 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHAND family
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
William Shand (1764-1835) and Margaret Young  had 9children.  I have only managed to find death dates for 2 can anyone shed any light as I have been unable to trace them.
Elspet Shand baptised 29/1/1787 in New Spynie or Spynie
Isabel Shand baptised 29/1/1787 in New Spynie or Spynie.  Married Peter Copland and died 18/11/1824 Gilcomston
Alexander Shand birth 3/1/1790 In Drainie, Morayshire
William Shand baptised 4/7/1793 in Drainie, Morayshire
James Shand birth 3/7/1796 in Drainie Parish, Morayshire died 1852 Point Nepean, Victoria, Australia
John Shand birth 6/2/1798 in Drainie Parish, Morayshire
Lewis Shand born 23/4/1801 in Drainie, Morayshire
George Shand born 23/4/1801 in Drainie, Morayshire
Robert Shand born 15/8/1803 in Stotfield, Drainie, Morayshire
Many thanks.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SHAND FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I take it that you have searched LIBINDX, and also that you have checked SP for deaths of Shands with mother's maiden name Young?

Have you found any of them in the census (try FreeCEN and check the originals on SP)?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I have checked LIBINDX and SP and found nothing.  Unusually I have found nothing in census either on Freecen so will have to look more carefully through SP.  Thanks.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure the Isabella Shand who married Peter Copland is your Isabella Shand - what evidence do you have for this?

I think she is more likely to be the Isabella Shand or Mackay who died in Elgin in 1867, widow of John Mackay, crofter. Her death was registered by her son-in-law, Roderick Bremner, and gives her parents as William Shand, farm overseer, and Margaret Shand (ms Young).

I can't obviously find the marriage of Isabella Shand to John Mackay, but all their children that I can find were born in Ross and Cromarty. I can see Isabella in 1841 in Avoch:

Burnside of Killen
Isobel Mackay, 45, farmer, (outside census county)
John Mackay, 20, Ross and Cromarty
Isobela Mackay, 20, Ross and Cromarty
Sarah Mackay, 15, Ross and Cromarty

This may be her in Rosemarkie in 1851:
Isabella Mckey, 64, Dravey (sic), Moray

By 1861, she is with her daughter and son-in-law in Elgin:       
BREMNER, Roderick, Head, 43, Quarrier, Ross and Cromarty - Knockbain   
BREMNER, Sarah, Wife, 38, Ross and Cromarty - Avoch           
BREMNER, John, Son, 12, Scholar, Ross and Cromarty - Ferintosh           
BREMNER, Daniel, Son, 10, Scholar, Ross and Cromarty - Ferintosh           
BREMNER, Margaret, Dau, 9, Scholar, Ross and Cromarty - Ferintosh           
BREMNER, Isabella, Dau, 6, Scholar, Ross and Cromarty - Ferintosh           
BREMNER, Sarah, Dau, 4, Scholar, Ross and Cromarty - Ferintosh           
BREMNER, Alexander, Son, 3, Morayshire - Elgin           
BREMNER, Jane Ann, Dau, 1, Morayshire - New Spynie           
MCKAY, Isabella, Ma-Law, W, 75, Morayshire - Drainie

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 19 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I will look carefully into Peter and Isabels marriage, it says on the childrens baptism that they lived in Knowhead, Rathven and a Margaret Shand was one of the witnesses to their first born.  I might be jumping the gun thinking that William (the name of their second born) and Margaret (name of their first born) might be grandparents names.  William actually is a grandparents name as he was Peters father but I might have jumped the gum thinking it was both grandfathers names as their 3rd and 4th children seemed to be named after themselves, Peter and Isabel followed by Jane, Janet and John.  Thanks.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Having caught up on your previous threads for this family, it looks like the Isabella Shand who married Peter Copland in Rathven is the Isabella Shand you're interested in - the question really is, why do you think this Isabella Shand is the daughter of William Shand and Margaret Young, born Drainie/New Spyrie, Moray?

There are plenty of Shand families in Banffshire - in Rathven and around - what makes you so sure your Isabella Shand came from Moray?

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »
All I know for certain is that she married Peter in Rathven.  I could be I have gone down a wrong avenue I am talking to another relative that may know more than i do, sorry for wasting time, thanks.