Author Topic: Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I just found a possible death record for Mary. 

There is a death record for Mary Greenwood, husband Greenwood, at Heptonstall St Thomas, burial date 31st December 1798.  Source: West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812.

But that can't be her because Adam Greenwood married Sally on 8th March 1798....

Unless it got transcribed to the wrong year, as 31st December 1797 would have fit the dates perfectly.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
The December burial says that Mary is "Widow Greenwood, Wad(sworth) Poorhouse"

The May 1798 burial of Mary Greenwood is wife of John of Heptonstall.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Adam to Sally does not indicate that he had previously been married.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 January 19 16:07 GMT (UK) »

Henry Greenwood   Baptism    13 Oct 1797   Heptonstall, St Thomas Adam & Mary Redman

There was an earlier burial but unlikely to be above. I suspect they were not married, the use of Mary’s surname in England would be unusual.

Widow Mary Greenwood   Burial    31 Mar 1797   Heptonstall, St Thomas (Workhouse)

Baptisms Heptonstall, St Thomas Adam & Sally
Annah Greenwood   11 Oct 1798
Mally Greenwood   12 Apr 1803
Jimmey Greenwood   25 May 1806
Sally Greenwood   11 Jun 1810

Was previously in West Riding of Yorkshire (GENUKI)
"GREAT MITTON, a parish-town, in the west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bowland; 3 miles from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 10 from Blackburn, (Lanc.) 12 from Gisburn. Pop. 324.

Less than 20 miles from Hebden.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:39 GMT (UK) »
can anyone work out what the words at the end of that baptism record are.

Presumably even if Adam & Mary were not married Adam was acknowledging Henry as his son s a few entry above one baptism reads "reputed father (name) Dewhirst"

There were so many Greenwood families in the Heptonstall/Todmorden are they are difficult to untangle - I have some in my tree

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
can anyone work out what the words at the end of that baptism record are.

Presumably even if Adam & Mary were not married Adam was acknowledging Henry as his son s a few entry above one baptism reads "reputed father (name) Dewhirst"

There were so many Greenwood families in the Heptonstall/Todmorden are they are difficult to untangle - I have some in my tree

Greenwoods in Heptonstall are very difficult to untangle. It would be good not to have to give up at Henry Greenwood or his father Adam.  Maybe if I can push back a generation or two things could get easier, with smaller populations and different parishes.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't add anything, apart from echoing that it seemed as if ALL Greenwoods hailed from Heptonstall. St Thomas' records there show so many. It seemed to be compulsory to be a "Greenwood" in that area.
Are there any surnames used as first names in the family you know? "Ormerod Greenwood" or similar can often link to a mother or grandmother's maiden name? And there are several  "Adam"s available in that border area between Lancs and Yorks.
Don't forget, that was also a bit of a hotbed of non-conformity, Baptists, Methodists, Quakers etc., and those records are worth searching. Good luck
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking through the entries for Mary Redman in Heptonstall, on familysearch.org

First of all I found four very possible baptisms for her, making her 23, 26, 38 or 28 at the time of Henry's birth.

Then I found another one that made me think.  Mary Redman, christened 13 October 1782 in Heptonstall, father William Redman.  That would make her 15 at the time of Henry's birth, so could account for why I can't find a marriage or death record for her.  She would be old enough to physically have the child, but not be married.  Adam Greenwood was probably also very young.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I am just a little concerned you are following the right Henry for a couple of reasons.

It seems odd that Henry would have been baptised in Heptonstall if he lived in Hebden Brodge

You say they were living in Silk Street Manchester in 1841 and that record says they were both born in Lancashire (which could be Wadsworth but not Hebden Bridge)

How did you decide your Henry was from Hebden Bridge please