Author Topic: Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Also the Henry who died in Manchester in 1847 was 53 years old ie born 1794

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I am just a little concerned you are following the right Henry for a couple of reasons.

It seems odd that Henry would have been baptised in Heptonstall if he lived in Hebden Brodge

You say they were living in Silk Street Manchester in 1841 and that record says they were both born in Lancashire (which could be Wadsworth but not Hebden Bridge)

How did you decide your Henry was from Hebden Bridge please

All their children until the last one were baptised at Heptonstall St Thomas.  Thomas Greenwood was their first child, baptised 20th July 1817 in Heptonstall, father Henry mother Fanny.  Then Hiram was baptised at Heptonstall St Thomas 2nd August 1820.  Then Stephen baptised 1822 and buried 1822, then Sally (Sarah) baptised 1824, then Jane baptised 1827, then finally Mary is baptised in Manchester in 1830.  The whole family are on the 1841 census living in Manchester, and Henry died on March 10th 1847 in Henry Street, Manchester, informant Fanny Greenwood.

Henry and Fanny were married on 24th November 1816 at Heptonstall St Thomas,and had marriage banns on 17th November.  The banns say "Henry Greenwood of Wadsworth Weaver and Frances Greenwood of same."

Surely St Thomas' Heptonstall was the only church for the whole area?

As they were living in Manchester for the 1841 census, this was in Lancashire and the officials would assume most people were born there, I think it was only a tick to say if you were born in Lancashire or not, and easy to get wrong.  The officials are constantly writing Hebden Bridge wrongly, such as Ebding.  Maybe they had good reason to claim that they were born in Lancashire, or maybe the boundaries were different, after all this area was close to the Lancashire border.

On the 1871 census, Thomas' birthplace is written as Hepdon Bridge.  On the 1851 census it looks like Elden Bridge.  I can't find any of this family other than Fanny and Mary on the 1861 census.

It would be interesting to find the 1851 census for Thomas' brother Hiram, who was living in Manchester, married 27th October 1850 at St Mary, St Denys and St George, what later became Manchester Cathedral, to Mary Stanfield.  His son Henry Greenwood was born 1854 Manchester, and Hiram died 18th March 1855 at 145 Jersey Street, Ancoats, Manchester, with his wife Mary present at the death, and the Informant.  Hiram would probably be shown also as born in Hebden Bridge, probably misspelt, even though his baptism was at Heptonstall St Thomas.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 January 19 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Also the Henry who died in Manchester in 1847 was 53 years old ie born 1794

Yes, they got Fanny's age wrong too on her death record.  I thought that was common to get the age a bit wrong.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 January 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
There is no age mentioned on the BT's of the marriage or the banns, how do you know that Henry was 19 at the time or was that just an assumption
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 January 19 18:31 GMT (UK) »
There is no age mentioned on the BT's of the marriage or the banns, how do you know that Henry was 19 at the time or was that just an assumption

There is a baptism record for Heptonstall in October 1797 in "West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriage and Burials 1512-1812", which shows his parents as Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman.  Also the very next entry is for his later wife Fanny Greenwood, mother Mary Greenwood and reputed father David Wilcock. 

On the marriage records, Fanny's surname is also Greenwood.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 January 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry got my geography a bit wrong. I had quite a lot of trouble with Lancashire/Yorkshire in the todmorden area as parts of it were Lancashire  until between 1841 and 1851. I had confused Wadsworth and Walsden it being a while since I have done my research in that area.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 January 19 19:11 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 has Henry age 45 and Fanny as 40 so I would be surprised to see a baptism listed for them following each other.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 January 19 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 has Henry age 45 and Fanny as 40 so I would be surprised to see a baptism listed for them following each other.

If they were both born in 1797 they would both be 44.  I have read that it is very common for censuses to round up a birth date to the nearest five years.  Odd that they would round up one and round down the other, or maybe the Manchester official struggled with their heavy Yorkshire accents.

I have often seen ages wrong on censuses, siblings who turned out to be born several years apart shown as born the same year.

Actually they were both born in late 1797 probably, from the baptism date in October, so in early 1841 when the census was done, they would be 43, so maybe a tired official just rounded one up and one down to the nearest five years?

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 January 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Those ages in 1841 would fit with the Henry who died in 1847 aged 53 making him 46 in 1841 which would have been rounded down to 45. Fanny age 40 in 1841 could be age 40 to 44

Which child of henry’s Is your ancestor?