Author Topic: Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Greenwood and Mary Redman?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 19 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Those ages in 1841 would fit with the Henry who died in 1847 aged 53 making him 46 in 1841 which would have been rounded down to 45. Fanny age 40 in 1841 could be age 40 to 44

Which child of henry’s Is your ancestor?

Thomas, the eldest.  But I researched the siblings and their spouses and descendants as much as I could too.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 January 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I have Fanny Greenwood's death certificate, which says she died on 17th January 1866 in Charlesworth, Derbyshire, age 73.  Widow of Henry Greenwood, Cotton Carder.  The Informant is Edward Fernly, the husband of Mary, the widow of Fanny's son Hiram, and also Mary Fernly, who also was called to sign an extra bit on the death certificate, which is hard to read and I think means that Fanny was originally named as Frances, and the official had to change it to Fanny, and the rectified mistake had to be signed.

That would give her year of birth as 1793.  I just assumed it was wrong, as these records often are.  It is definitely her, cross referenced with other family members, and that many of her later family and descendants moved to that area around Charlesworth, Derbyshire, from Manchester.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Actually they were both born in late 1797 probably, from the baptism date in October, so in early 1841 when the census was done, they would be 43, so maybe a tired official just rounded one up and one down to the nearest five years?

As Henry or someone on his behalf would have had to complete a form stating the ages of himself and Fanny I would think it highly unlikely that the enumerator would then round one up and one down if they both read the same.

Have you eliminated any other Henry Greenwoods born c1794.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I have Fanny Greenwood's death certificate, which says she died on 17th January 1866 in Charlesworth, Derbyshire, age 73.  Widow of Henry Greenwood, Cotton Carder.  The Informant is Edward Fernly, the husband of Mary, the widow of Fanny's son Hiram, and also Mary Fernly, who also was called to sign an extra bit on the death certificate, which is hard to read and I think means that Fanny was originally named as Frances, and the official had to change it to Fanny, and the rectified mistake had to be signed.

That would give her year of birth as 1793.  I just assumed it was wrong, as these records often are.  It is definitely her, cross referenced with other family members, and that many of her later family and descendants moved to that area around Charlesworth, Derbyshire, from Manchester.

Unless Fanny was born in January this indicates she was born in 1792 as does the 1861 census where she is stated as age 68

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 January 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
A lot of the M.Is for St Thomas' Heptonstall were collected and printed out by the Hebden Bridge Local History Society - there are tons of Greenwoods and quite a few Redmans.
I seem to have it online from some research i did years back for someone on Greenwoods, can't recall how I got to it, but I'd saved it as a favourite. I'm going through it now to see if there's anything that might help you - it has all sorts of little footnotes that may be helpful, from the transcribers' local knowledge I suspect,  but as there are about 250 pages it will take me some time, and may be useless in the end for you.  Many of the stones, especially earlier bear only initials. I am sure that was because of the cost of cutting full inscriptions. Where the others on the stone bore either surname I tried to see if there were any initials that might be useful to you. You may be able to trace it from HebdenBridge History...  by yourself. It's certainly fascinating.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:21 GMT (UK) »
If you're looking at the Ribchester / Longridge records of the baptism of an Adam Greenwood, the one with the father Thomas may have had as mother "Ann" ? - from earlier entries "of Dilworth".
Looking hard at the image of the Sowerby baptism, it looks a lot more like "Edm" Edmund?  than Adam, to me, as child of James and Phoebe.... may well be wrong, after spending hours peering at St Thomas' images seeking possible Greenwoods and Redmans slightly cross-eyed, but look yourself, and see what you think...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
If you're looking at the Ribchester / Longridge records of the baptism of an Adam Greenwood, the one with the father Thomas may have had as mother "Ann" ? - from earlier entries "of Dilworth".
Looking hard at the image of the Sowerby baptism, it looks a lot more like "Edm" Edmund?  than Adam, to me, as child of James and Phoebe.... may well be wrong, after spending hours peering at St Thomas' images seeking possible Greenwoods and Redmans slightly cross-eyed, but look yourself, and see what you think...

Thanks.  I will try to find it and have a look.