Author Topic: THREEPWOOD [place-name] in Scotland UK, is there a link to New Zealand?  (Read 1615 times)

guest259648

THREEPWOOD [place-name] in Scotland UK, is there a link to New Zealand?
« on: Thursday 03 January 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the place-name THREEPWOOD. I know of an area called Threepwood in the west of Scotland UK. I also know that Scottish and other settlers took place names with them when settling in new lands.

Is there a THREEPWOOD anywhere in New Zealand, please? If so, where is it, and who conveyed the name to NZ? And what is the area currently like, and who lives there now? (Surnames, nationalities of residents etc, would be very useful).

Thank you. x

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: THREEPWOOD [place-name] in Scotland UK, is there a link to New Zealand?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 19 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Have you Googled it?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Yep!  Went through Threepwood on my funnymoon!  Found you this:

http://www.signalgroup.co.nz/projects/land-development/threepwood-development
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline kinnigit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 19 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Also check Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers?snippet=true&query=threepwood
Seems to be a LEE family in the Lower Shotover (Lake Hayes near Queenstown so linked to the Threepwood development) in the 1920s.
The Ellen LEE obiituary from 1934 says the family purchased the property with that name in 1910 for a Robert McDOWELL.
A John BUTEMENT was also an early owner of this property. He died in 1915.
Also a Mr MARSHALL owned this farm possibly before it gained the name Threepwood,

There was also another place name Threepwood in Remuera, Auckland the home of Archibald CLARK in 1891. 
Also in 1910 an in memoriam notice for a Miss BEWICKE late of Threepwood Hall in Northumberland who died in Russell, New Zealand.

guest259648

« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 19 07:38 GMT (UK) »

"Have you Googled it"

Good point! and yes I have, however it wasn't clear to me whether the word Threepwood was just a developer's chosen name for a recent project, or if it belonged to the land, historically.

guest259648

« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 19 07:41 GMT (UK) »

Thank you jaybelnz, this is very useful. You went through it on your funnymoon, you say? Is it a remote sort of area? (It looks it). It also looks very beautiful - is it considered special in any way, or historic?

guest259648

« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 19 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Also check Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers?snippet=true&query=threepwood
Seems to be a LEE family in the Lower Shotover (Lake Hayes near Queenstown so linked to the Threepwood development) in the 1920s.
The Ellen LEE obiituary from 1934 says the family purchased the property with that name in 1910 for a Robert McDOWELL.
A John BUTEMENT was also an early owner of this property. He died in 1915.
Also a Mr MARSHALL owned this farm possibly before it gained the name Threepwood,
There was also another place name Threepwood in Remuera, Auckland the home of Archibald CLARK in 1891. 
Also in 1910 an in memoriam notice for a Miss BEWICKE late of Threepwood Hall in Northumberland who died in Russell, New Zealand.

Thank you kinnigit, this is excellent. It looks like the LEE family were originally responsible for taking the name Threepwood from the UK to NZ...  How can we find out more about LEO LEE? (I've failed).

Also: do you know anything about NZ electoral registers etc - is there anything we can consult which holds surnames of people living in this NZ Threepwood now? [I'm in the UK, we can consult very recent electoral registers e.g. up to 2018; I don't know if this applies in other countries too].

How about the people who have purchased properties in the new Threepwood development? What are their surnames? (Is it possible to find out?) Are there any descendants of the original families, still living there now?

I've also discovered, from info. supplied here, that 'Threepwood Farm' was run "as a Trust" in the later 20th century. How do we discover more about this "Trust", and what it was?

Thanks for all the help. x

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »

Thank you jaybelnz, this is very useful. You went through it on your funnymoon, you say? Is it a remote sort of area? (It looks it). It also looks very beautiful - is it considered special in any way, or historic?

Probably a bit of both really. Lake Hayes itself is a beautiful area, as is the whole of the Queenstown area and surrounding countryside in that part of the South Island, also surrounded by Mountain Ranges, glaciers, ski resorts etc., said to be one of our country's top tourist destinations, both summer and winter!  Of course our country was developed after the arrival of The English Captain James Cook, whose company bought lands from our Maori people, but trading for ownership of their lands for blankets and muskets and trinkets was not a fair deal for Maori!  There was a Treaty signed by the English at the time, the Treaty of Waitangi, which in more recent time, was challenged in the Parliamentary Disputes Courts, and the various Maori Tribes were recompensed financially with getting back ownership of their lands across the whole country.  Some of these compensations are still being challenged by different tribes around the country!  We have a special day once a year, Waitangi Day, a public Holiday in February, right across the country, and huge celebrations are attended at Waitangi, in the North Island,  by Maori tribesmen, their Chiefs, their Whanau (families), the incumbent Prime Minister and Members of of Parliament, and of course, the Public!  Sometimes there are still different protest groups that assemble at Waitangi on the day, from both Maori and Pakeha (White people), and that can be quite challenging at the time!  I visited Waitangi myself, it was spectacular, but the protestors can be quite intimidating, even a bit scary, so I only watch the celebration on TV now!

The T
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

guest259648

« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Probably a bit of both really. Lake Hayes itself is a beautiful area, as is the whole of the Queenstown area and surrounding countryside in that part of the South Island, also surrounded by Mountain Ranges, glaciers, ski resorts etc., said to be one of our country's top tourist destinations, both summer and winter!  Of course our country was developed after the arrival of The English Captain James Cook, whose company bought lands from our Maori people, but trading for ownership of their lands for blankets and muskets and trinkets was not a fair deal for Maori!  There was a Treaty signed by the English at the time, the Treaty of Waitangi, which in more recent time, was challenged in the Parliamentary Disputes Courts, and the various Maori Tribes were recompensed financially with getting back ownership of their lands across the whole country.  Some of these compensations are still being challenged by different tribes around the country!  We have a special day once a year, Waitangi Day, a public Holiday in February, right across the country, and huge celebrations are attended at Waitangi, in the North Island,  by Maori tribesmen, their Chiefs, their Whanau (families), the incumbent Prime Minister and Members of of Parliament, and of course, the Public!  Sometimes there are still different protest groups that assemble at Waitangi on the day, from both Maori and Pakeha (White people), and that can be quite challenging at the time!  I visited Waitangi myself, it was spectacular, but the protestors can be quite intimidating, even a bit scary, so I only watch the celebration on TV now!

The T

jaybelnz, it's good to know you! And I totally agree, it's never right to invade other peoples' lands and take them for yourself. If I could turn back the clock and re-write history, I surely would.  I'm pleased to learn about the financial recompense, it needs to happen.

Thanks for telling me (and all readers) about Waitangi Day, I didn't know any of this and it's interesting.

Where do place your own ancestry? Are you from the Queenstown area, or were you just visiting? x