Author Topic: THREEPWOOD [place-name] in Scotland UK, is there a link to New Zealand?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: THREEPWOOD [place-name] in Scotland UK, is there a link to New Zealand?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
OK!  I was born in NZ, my Mum and Dad were both born in Glasgow of Scottish Ancestry, my maternal grandparents were both born in Ayrshire, my paternal grandmother was also born in Ayrshire, and paternal grandfather was born in Boston USA, of English parents, whose parents were Irish. Both Mum and Dad's parents came to NZ, Mum's in 1924 and Dad's in 1926, who became friends in the little village where they all lived, and that's how, when they were children, my parents met each other.  I was actually born there 20 years later, and we still all lived in the same little village! 🌺🌺
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 19 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Err.....    something is amiss... JB writes ....
Of course our country was developed after the arrival of The English Captain James Cook, whose company bought lands from our Maori people, but trading for ownership of their lands for blankets and muskets and trinkets was not a fair deal for Maori!  There was a Treaty signed by the English at the time, the Treaty of Waitangi, which in more recent time, was challenged in the Parliamentary Disputes Courts, and the various Maori Tribes were recompensed financially with getting back ownership of their lands across the whole country.  Some of these compensations are still being challenged ....

Well ...errr ...
I  am sure that James Cook did not own any organisation that purchased Maori lands ...  I am sure he was a Lieutenant in Royal Navy, .... in command of HMS Endeavour,  1770,  .... famous for validating Abel Tasman's voyage back in the 1640s and thus for finding the passage between the two main islands .... no mention of any settlement made by Cook .... within weeks he was busy finding the continent to the west of NZ and spending months sailing up along its eastern seaboard. He did not settle there either. 

I think the London Missionary Society sent people and funds via New South Wales in 1810s and later to settle NZ ... Rev Samuel Marsden .... I think England formally annexed NZ to NSW about 1839-40 perhaps Earl Grey and Molesworth were instigators as they discovered that James Cook  had NOT even claimed NZ for the Empire ... 

ADD Cook 1728-1779 ... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline kinnigit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 January 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I think we are getting away from the original question which was about the Scottish connection to New Zealand.

See https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/scots-make-their-mark/ for a good explanation of how the Scots provided the names for many places in the south of New Zealand.  If you check the place names in southern New Zealand you wlll see a definite Scottish influence.

Large numbers of Scots came in the 1840s, settling mainly in Auckland and Wellington. An influx of Otago settlers arrived after 1848 (they chose Dunedin over many other potential settlement sites in New Zelaand), and in the 1860s, gold miners flooded in. Assistance schemes enticed more to Otago and Canterbury in the 1870s.  Census estimates suggest that the Scots made up approximately 20 per cent of migrants to New Zealand between 1840 and 1950.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 January 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
 :)
https://teara.govt.nz/en/history-of-immigration particularly page 3 https://teara.govt.nz/en/history-of-immigration/page-3

ADD page 2 shows 'By 1839 the total non-Māori population was about 2,000.'  and by 1852, about 28,000 and attributes that to the 1840 Treaty that JB mentioned in her reply to our OP ....  notice that the New Zealand Company was clearly not formed by James Cook who died 1779, but by WAKEFIELD in the 1830s and who was a close associate of MOLESWORTH who was a wealthy Member of Parliament in England.   https://nzhistory.govt.nz/keyword/new-zealand-company

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.