Author Topic: How best to use newspaper archives?  (Read 290 times)

Offline dhmm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How best to use newspaper archives?
« on: Friday 04 January 19 04:15 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching my family history for a couple of years and now have a solid understanding of who's in my tree and their birth, marriage and death dates, where they lived, and their occupations, built up from a mix of Ancestry.com records, a good collection of handed-down photos, quite a few birth/death/marriage certificates, and a limited amount of rooting around graveyards and church records.

What I feel I am missing is much knowledge of their lives beyond that, such as any specific episodes or things they did.

Therefore I am thinking of subscribing to one of those online newspaper archives and trawling through those to see if any of them get a mention, but I'm skeptical that most people ever do anything to get a mention in a newspaper. I'd be interested to hear if people have found looking through newspaper archives for such individual stories of much help. Or are they more useful for just getting a general feel for what life was like in a specific town/county at a specific date?

Suggestions on good strategies would be much appreciated. I just suspect that it's the sort of thing that could consume a lot of time for little reward unless you have a disciplined way of going about it and know what to look for!

Thanks!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mckha489

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How best to use newspaper archives?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 19 04:43 GMT (UK) »
someone asked this question the other day and got some good replies.

Link to that thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805597.msg6643169#msg6643169

be warned, it leads you in directions you never thought possible!
currently concentrating on NUTCHER & MARSHALL families, Hampshire.
and family of Thomas ANDERSON a Tailor of Perth, Scotland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 19 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Try some of the free online newspapers first.  And try Google book search, too.  Even very ordinary people make into the newspapers and into books.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr

Offline RJP75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Not meaning to hijack the thread but does anyone know of any British Newspaper Archive offers at the moment? I had a deal with it last year for 3 months and found it very interesting. With other subscriptions i can't really afford to pay full price at the moment.

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Not meaning to hijack the thread but does anyone know of any British Newspaper Archive offers at the moment? I had a deal with it last year for 3 months and found it very interesting. With other subscriptions i can't really afford to pay full price at the moment.
Can you access one through public library membership?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I access Gale Newspaper Vault and The Times at home via my local County library website and my library card.   :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk