Author Topic: Dalley brothers  (Read 366 times)

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dalley brothers
« on: Friday 04 January 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year!

The National Roll of the Great War contains entries for Sapper H.T. Dalley and his brother Ordinary Seaman H.D. Dalley.     I can find no other entry anywhere about either of them.
Henry Thomas was my son-in-law's grandfather, born 1897 died 1981
Herbert Dexter was born 1901 died 1969 and served in Royal Navy in WWII.

I may have pressed the wrong button and published this unfinished, if so my apologies - it is still close to New Year.

Anyway, to continue
The family have no medals or momentoes, and the older members have died, leaving the present generation no clues as to what either brother did in WWI, other than the somewhat overdone entries in The National Roll.
HMS Eaglet was and still is the Liverpool Naval Reserves base, being renamed from HMS Eagle in June 1918.     I find it hard to believe that a base in Liverpool should be the accounting base for "ships" (shore bases, coastal forces or harbour craft or whatever) at Scapa Flow, yet I can find no mention of named establishments there.
As for Harry, being myself an ex-Sapper, I would like to find out a bit more about him.

Can anyone give me guidance or pointers, please?

Coelmar
and yes, my dragon is Saxon not Welsh
Davidson & Young in Ayrshire::  Deacon in Beds:: Hawkins & Young in Berks::  Grant, Hammond & Southgate in Essex::  Punter & Sorrell in London:: Dennison in Suffolk & Yorks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Dalley brothers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for service records as Herbert served after 1920 his records will still be with the MOD
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Have you located Henry on the 1939 register
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dalley brothers
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie99, I had not thought of that.     I have found both on the 1939 Register.
Not totally sure that Herbert served WWII, that is family legend.

Coelmar
Davidson & Young in Ayrshire::  Deacon in Beds:: Hawkins & Young in Berks::  Grant, Hammond & Southgate in Essex::  Punter & Sorrell in London:: Dennison in Suffolk & Yorks