Author Topic: Really Hard to Find Corcorans  (Read 1127 times)

Offline neilc78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Really Hard to Find Corcorans
« on: Friday 04 January 19 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been doing my family tree for a while now and getting to the tricky parts. So I have a great grand mother called Maggie Jane Corcoran (corkin on some census & docs), born in Bailieboro in 1892. Her son Mick was my grandfather, born 1912 in Bailieboro. She had other sons Patrick, Stephen, Christopher and Vincent. She has no husband and had Mick and Stephen with no father name listed (irish genealogy and birth cert)

I cannot find where Maggie Jane ended up and no one in the family has any idea
I cannot find anything on Stephen - marriage or death or emigration except he was born in 1916 in Bailieboro workhouse
I found vincent who was born in 1922, never knew his mother and lived with a totally different family in Leitrim and is buried there.
I am told Christopher went to UK, possibly London, had some kids but I cannot find him either.

I really struggle with the UK side of things and I wouldnt be suprised if some or all of these people ended up there.

So my question is, any good hints on where to start given that I have exhausted efforts on Irish Genealogy website. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Really Hard to Find Corcorans
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 19 23:15 GMT (UK) »
It would be handy if you posted a few links to them. Maggie on Census etc...saves others time trying to find things that have already been found.

I looked for a 9 year old Maggie in Bailieboro in 1901'..

Not there!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Birth of STEPHEN CORKRAN on 16 December 1916
SR District/Reg Area   Bailieborough
Mother's Birth Surname   CORKRAN

A bit of spelling variation there

Mother is named as Margaret Corkran
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 19 05:44 GMT (UK) »
There was a 9 year old Margret J Cochrane in the 1901 census

Census Years 1901 Cavan Bailieboro
Cochrane   Peter   42   Male   Head of Family   Roman Catholic
Cochrane   Mary   37   Female   Wife   Roman Catholic
Cochrane   Margret J   9   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic

Cochrane could be another spelling variant

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 19 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Name   PATRICK CORKIN
Date of Birth   22 July 1915
SR District/Reg Area   Bailieborough
Mother's Birth Surname   CORKIN

Mothers name was Bridget Corkin on the original certificate and this Patrick Corkin was born in the Union workhouse Bailieborough

Looking at Margaret Jane born 1892 again in Bailieborough her birth reg says parents are Peter Corkin and Sarah M'manus

Then looking at Bridget Corkin born 1885 in Bailiborough her birth registration give the same parents Peter Corkin and Sarah Mcmanus

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 19 06:52 GMT (UK) »
You don't say what year Christopher (Cochrane) Corcoran was born was it 1920?

There is one in the 1939 register on FindMyPast living in a Murphy (Mohammond) household in Birmingham.

He would be good to investigate
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline neilc78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys. Thanks for all the posts this morning. I should have told you what I know in more detail...

Maggie Jane Corcoran

She appears in both census of 1901 and 1911 in Bailieboro (as outlined above)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cavan/Bailieboro/Corkish/1053204/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Enniskeen/Clonturkan/315839/

She had a son Michael in 1912, not showing on the irishgenealogy.ie website but I have a birth cert, Michael was my Grandfather.

She had another son Stephen in 1916 (as whiteout 7 shows above)

She had a son vincent born in 1923. Born in Co Care Home Cavan Town. Died in Leitrim, living with another family but having never known his mother or father (info from descendents of people he lived with), he is buried in the plot of that family and died in 1986

Supposedly, again word of mouth from other family members there are at least 2 more kids

A Patrick and a Christopher. I concentrated on Christopher as the story is he moved to England, got married and had some kids. I dont know when or where he was born but I am guessing it was probably in Cavan in 1920 or so.

So what I am looking for is

1) Any info on Christophers life in the UK, his marriage, descendants etc
2) Any idea what happened to Maggie Jane as there is no sign of her ever marrying or dying on irishgenealogy.ie and in ancestry.com I wasnt able to find anything I could link to Bailieboro or Cavan in that name after the birth of Vincent in 1923
3) Any information on Patrick her other son.

Also, as you have seen the name is Corcoran and was in previous generations before Maggie and is still today in current family. However, in Bailieboro in the late 1800s and early 1900s the name was recorded under a whole range of different spellings and often mixes up with 2 presbyterian settler names - Corkin and Cochrane. On top of that some really odd spellings like Corkran etc. So that complicates it even more. The main point is, I have done a huge amount of trawling in Ireland and I am trying to do the same in England but it seems to me that in England there it is very hard to find anything. So what I mean by that is if I was looking for a Corcoran getting married in Ireland in 1940, i could look at the record, see a parent name, an address, a witness etc. In the UK I just only see names and no way to verify against any other data. Maybe that's just my lack of experience researching those records.

Thanks again for your time