Author Topic: London Auxiliary Fire Service Shooters Hill and Environs  (Read 518 times)

Offline Claudia Oliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
London Auxiliary Fire Service Shooters Hill and Environs
« on: Friday 04 January 19 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I have recently acquired the personal memoirs of my grandfather's time in the AFS during WWII. He lived at Shooters Hill and covered that area broadly, during his time as a volunteer.

It includes over 100 pages of typed text and numerous photographs of training exercises, vehicles, unit photographs and some of the people he worked with. If you have a relative who may have worked in that area at that time for the AFS I may have a mention of them or even a photo. My grandfather was Leslie Vosper.

I am considering transcribing his memoirs and doing something more with them but I haven't decided on the best way forward with this yet as I am not sure how much call there is for this kind of information.

Claudia
Harvey, Falcieri, Farrance, Coward, Prickett, also B Disraeli and Lord Byron, Buck, Whitaker, Vosper, Trounce, Daveney, Hosking, Oliver, Gallagher, Gulliver, Golifer, Rome

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Auxiliary Fire Service Shooters Hill and Environs
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/museum/history-and-stories/firefighters-of-the-second-world-war/

would likely be v interested

MaxD
Even if you want to keep the documents - let them have or make copies. Just about everything I've offered to archives has been very gratefully accepted.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Claudia Oliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: London Auxiliary Fire Service Shooters Hill and Environs
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Excellent idea. I will drop them a line. Thank you!
Harvey, Falcieri, Farrance, Coward, Prickett, also B Disraeli and Lord Byron, Buck, Whitaker, Vosper, Trounce, Daveney, Hosking, Oliver, Gallagher, Gulliver, Golifer, Rome