Author Topic: Quaker Family Connection  (Read 1196 times)

Offline JohnJean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Family Connection
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. I will follow up on the details. Apologies for the shortcut mention of Thomas Harrison and Sarah Ann Hampson. Thomas was born 1886 and Sarah Ann Hampson was born 1884. They married in November 1910. Regards, John H.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 January 19 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire was a centre of Quakerism. George Fox started the movement after climbing Pendle Hill, a few miles north of Whalley. Whalley itself is famous for its ruined abbey.

There was a Quaker meeting at Standish, to the north of Wigan. The Quaker Burial Ground is by the A49 at the northern end of the place, just before Pepper Lane.

The Meeting House was on School Lane, but by 1858 had been converted into a Methodist chapel.

Little Marsden, by the way, is now known as Nelson. The name change came about because the railway station was close to a pub named after the hero of Trafalgar.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline JohnJean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that information. I will add it to my research details. Regards, John H.