Author Topic: Poole and Longmore Canal and River Boat People Staffordshire  (Read 90 times)

Offline tkjensen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poole and Longmore Canal and River Boat People Staffordshire
« on: Friday 04 January 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat.com, and joined because of this special interest database.  I recently discovered my 2nd great grandmother's people (her father and both grandfathers) were boatmen. Their surnames were Poole and Longmore. They lived in the rock-house community of Dunsley Rock on the outskirts of Kinver, Staffordshire, above the Staffs and Worcestershire Canal from 1841 (perhaps earlier, but I do not have census data to know) to the 1860s or 1870s. From what I have read, the Dunsley Rock community (also called Gibraltar or Badger Rock) consisted of a handful (12 or so) "permanent" families, and many had family members who were boatmen. The community also served as a lodging place (even after it was abandoned in the 1870s) for boatmen traveling through.  I want to add these families (even those who are not my direct ancestors) to the database.  I am posting here to meet the requisite 3 posts to begin entering! 

I would also love to connect with anyone who may know more of this community or who has ancestors who lived there.

Terri

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Poole and Longmore Canal and River Boat People Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri,

Welcome to RootsChat

Now that you have registered with us, you should now be able to add to the waterman database

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=Watermen+%28Canal+and+River+boats%29

Just press the "add record" button  :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.