Author Topic: Poole and Longmore Canal and River Boat People Staffordshire  (Read 522 times)

Offline tkjensen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poole and Longmore Canal and River Boat People Staffordshire
« on: Friday 04 January 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat.com, and joined because of this special interest database.  I recently discovered my 2nd great grandmother's people (her father and both grandfathers) were boatmen. Their surnames were Poole and Longmore. They lived in the rock-house community of Dunsley Rock on the outskirts of Kinver, Staffordshire, above the Staffs and Worcestershire Canal from 1841 (perhaps earlier, but I do not have census data to know) to the 1860s or 1870s. From what I have read, the Dunsley Rock community (also called Gibraltar or Badger Rock) consisted of a handful (12 or so) "permanent" families, and many had family members who were boatmen. The community also served as a lodging place (even after it was abandoned in the 1870s) for boatmen traveling through.  I want to add these families (even those who are not my direct ancestors) to the database.  I am posting here to meet the requisite 3 posts to begin entering! 

I would also love to connect with anyone who may know more of this community or who has ancestors who lived there.

Terri

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Poole and Longmore Canal and River Boat People Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri,

Welcome to RootsChat

Now that you have registered with us, you should now be able to add to the waterman database

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=Watermen+%28Canal+and+River+boats%29

Just press the "add record" button  :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk