Author Topic: Tracing Huguenot Weaver History - Bethnal Green/East End  (Read 6870 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Huguenot Weaver History - Bethnal Green/East End
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 October 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
Of this parish (otp) for marriage records simply means that there was a period of residence required - I think 3 weeks prior to marriage in that parish.  It bears no relation to where they were born or even living.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
I too am interested in silk weavers from Spitalfields/Bethnal Green. 

I have traced back to a Benjamin Holloway born c 1757 but unfortunately there are (at least) two.  One is the son of John and Mildred, the other is the son of Jeremiah and Mary and 'they' married Mary Hobbs,  Ann Stevens, Hannah Golding, Sarah LeSerf and Sarah Layton. In 1783 Banns were also called 3 times for Benjamin Holloway widower and Sarah Stewart in Spitalfields, although I haven't found a wedding. 

26 Jul 1773, Saint Leonard's, Shoreditch, Benjamin Holloway batch and Mary Hobbs both otp  witnesses James and Samuel Flack?
15 May 1780 St Leonard's, Shoreditch,    Benjamin Holloway,  Batchelor  and Sarah Leserf witnesses Henry Sparrow and William Burgess.
16 Oct 1783 St Leonard's, Shoreditch, Benjamin Holloway widower and Hannah Goldring, witnesses William Burgess and ??ire Holloway
28 Feb 1788 St Dunstan, Stepney Ann Stevens and Benjamin Holloway widower of MEOT, Witnesses James Brown and Samuel Mears? 
1790 St Leonard's Shoreditch Sarah Layton and Benjamin Holloway Widower, witnesses William Holloway and Ann Bourn both otp

I think Hannah died in 1787 and Ann in 1822.  I haven't found a death for Mary of for either Sarah, a Sarah, and Benjamin baptised a daughter in 1803

I believe 'my line' is via Ann Stevens and son John bap 1 Jan 1800, St Leonard's, Shoreditch Son of Benjamin and Ann Holloway of New Inn Yard.

Benjamin and Ann had children called John, Mildred, Mary (1792) and Jeremiah - so not much help there deciding who Benjamin's parents are.  Mary Holloway born 1792 married Thomas Swan they had daughters Hannah, Margaret and Mildred and a son  Benjamin and I have a DNA link.

One of the Benjamin's appears to have died in 1829 and be buried in Bunhill's Cemetery

If anyone can shed further light on this I would be delighted!

Gill
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Littlebn20

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you share my frustrations Gill :)

I think that one of my ancestors were in New Inn Yard at the time also. Can only imagine how many people lived there and the conditions that they lived in. I am now resorting to making a spreadsheet of all of the Robert Weavers in England, born at the same time. Have already ruled out half.Driving me potty!

Offline Llenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, my ancestors were also named Weaver and come from the Spitalfields area and lived in New Inn Yard for a while. My 3rd great grandfather was a silk Weaver, Richard Weaver. I know his father was Benjamin Weaver but have no paperwork to say that he also was a Weaver by trade. I have found no Huguenot connections yet. I have had a DNA test on ancestry and was wondering if we were related at all!

Offline Llenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again littlebn, I just realised that we have spoken before on ancestry, oops. I still think that you are looking for Henry Robert Weaver. Will have better look. Also I think we were not related by DNA if I can remember right. The search continues!