Author Topic: Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!  (Read 3365 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracing back a DNA match all the way from New Zealand via Australia and now in Sussex.

Not having much experience of researching in Sussex, internet coverage seems a bit bitty. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong places!

I have Jonathan Thorpe and his wife Elizabeth (nee Chatfield) who emigrated to Australia in 1854.

Jonathan was baptised in Barcombe 1803 son of George & Mary, but the only possible marriage I can find is 1797 in Ringmer between George Thorpe and MARTHA Philcox. I wondered if the name Mary in the Barcombe register might have been an error but there is another child attributed to George and MARY in Barcombe in 1807 - Mercy.

Avoiding the marriage, I tried to find a suitable baptism for George Thorpe (say, 1770-85) in Sussex without success.

I'm keen to follow this DNA match through as far as I can because it may or may not link up with a long held theory of mine concerning a particular stubborn brickwall in my tree.

Any help would be great!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 18:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a widowed Martha Thorpe in Lewes in 1851 with a son Richard.  Martha is age 86 bn Barcombe - Richard age 40 bn Barcombe  H0107/1643  f393 p16.  Do they tie in with what you know.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie.

I think this Martha is a good bet to be the one who married George, and Richard is possibly Jonathan's brother. I found Martha on the 1841 census as well and she's a pauper living in Barcombe with another lady of the same age.

Assuming, if this is the correct Martha, her husband George must have died before 1841, I found a burial for George Thorpe in Barcombe in 1834 aged 78. I can't find a baptism for Richard Thorpe around 1811 either.

This would mean I'm looking for baptisms for George Thorpe around 1756 and for his wife Martha (maiden name unknown but possibly Philcox) around 1765 - both older than I'd thought.

However, I've looked at both FindMyPast and Ancestry's catalogues and, apart from burials on FindMyPast, neither seem to have much of anything for Sussex, nor does Family Search so I'm stuck!!

Any ideas?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a quick look at the SFHG database and there don't seem to be very many Thorpes in Barcombe at all - many more in nearby Fletching and Maresfield so the marriage in Ringmer might well be the correct one - I'll have a look in the Sussex Marriage Index for you.

Liz

PS Maybe I'm biased - OK, I know I am  ;D - but once you find your way around, Sussex is an amazingly well resourced county - the best - not least because of everything the SFHG has to offer its members!
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:59 GMT (UK) »
From my experience, Sussex records have pretty sparse online coverage.

There is some coverage of Barcombe on FreeREG. Including a baptism of Emilia Walker Thorpe in 1817, base born daughter of Martha. Could be connected to your family.... Unfortunately marriages around that time are not yet transcribed.

I grew up around that area, and Barcombe is pretty close to Ringmer.

P.S. love your avatar Liz_in_Sussex :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
P.S. love your avatar Liz_in_Sussex :)
Thanks!

I have done a search on the SMI for Thorpe marriages in Sussex between 1780 and 1820 - only 2 to a George and one would not be possible and the other is the one you found, Jill.

Interestingly there are 2 "Thorpe = Chatfield" marriages both in Fletching - one in 1786 and the other 1798 so I wonder if that parish has some links to the family given the later marriage of the couple who emigrated?

There are 2 Barcombe 'Thorpe' marriages:

3 Oct 1793 Jane Thorpe (of Barcombe) to James Harriott (of Hamsey)
29 July 1813 William Thorpe to Elizabeth Coppard (both of Barcombe)

A bit earlier, but maybe of interest, there is a George Thorpe (of Maresfield) marriage to Mary Skinner of Hadlow in Kent - which took place in the latter's parish on 28 Jan 1777.

Liz

PS I have the Fletching Chatfields in my tree ... but they stayed put in Sussex and haven't travelled very far at all!
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
However, I've looked at both FindMyPast and Ancestry's catalogues and, apart from burials on FindMyPast, neither seem to have much of anything for Sussex, nor does Family Search so I'm stuck!!

Jill
For Barcombe, FamilySearch has parish registers, BTs, some 19th century overseers records, land tax 1780-1832. All with images.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7v/

The Ringmer marriage of George + Martha is indexed on
England, Sussex, Parish Registers, 1538-1910

with the image of the register, they both marked
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KFGT-Z74

John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Overseers accounts, first image I alighted on (honestly!)
George Thorp
getting a Coat
and then three shillings!
1805 I think
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-627S-6ZP?i=311&cat=217184

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »
The burial of Martha Thorpe at Barcombe in 1852 does give abode as Lewes :)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-625T-TN?i=377&cat=217184