Author Topic: Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!  (Read 3389 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:48 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census in Lewes gives Richard's occupation as Railway Porter.
There is a marriage at St Nicholas Brighton shortly afterwards, 25 May 1851
Richard Thorpe, Bachelor, Railway Servant, father George Thorpe, Labourer
+
Eleanor Hart

Image here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DBBS-HHR?i=246&cat=214220

A baptism at St Michael Lewes, 21 Sep 1851, of Richard, parents Richard + Eleanor Thorpe
Father a Porter
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-62KH-LZM?i=74&cat=216864

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 January 19 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow! What a lot of replies to wake up to! Thanks so much, everyone.

Liz, Barcombe was where Jonathan was born but his father George could have been from any of the nearby places you and others have mentioned, so I'm too worried about him not coming from Barcombe.

I must admit to still being worried that the marriage to Martha ( and not Mary) can't be right. The 1777 Kent marriage to Mary Skinner might be early but I'm also thinking if I've got the right death for George in 1834 aged 78 (i.e. born c 1756) he'd have been old enough to marry in 1777 and, if the couple returned to Sussex to live, any earlier children's baptisms won't be online either. (as in, no George, no Mary - at this time they usually named some of their early children after themselves).

It may just be that Martha is a complete red herring!! She can't be a second wife because Jonathan's and Mercy's baptisms in 1803 and 1807 respectively, name mother as Mary.

Liz, have you got very far back with the Fletching Chatfields in your tree? Anything going back earlier in the 1700s and, specifically, any connection to Cuckfield, Ardingly or to the surnames Beard or Symonds (numerous spellings)?

I don't know the area very well at all - infact, only recognise some of the placenames from tootling through on the train between London and Eastbourne!!

John, thanks for the links, though I couldn't find many 18th century PRs on Family Search, though I did look at the George/Martha marriage original. I liked the Overseers accounts - giving it the human touch.

There are 3 public trees on Ancestry with Jonathan on and none of them seem to agree. Infact they all but contradict each other, but I can see why now!!

Thanks, Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 January 19 14:06 GMT (UK) »
From my experience, Sussex records have pretty sparse online coverage.

Are you a member of SFHG?  Their online records are excellent.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 January 19 16:05 GMT (UK) »
No, I'm not a member. As I've explained, I'm new to Sussex and have had no reason previously to join the FHS.

I've also checked the Sussex OPC and they seem to have very few baptism records before the 19th century - just a few here and there.

I think I'm fighting a losing battle here until one of the 'big boys' manages to get some detailed Sussex PRs online - are you listening FindMyPast?

Such a shame - I'd really have liked to establish my connection with the young lady in New Zealand and relayed the info to her but no doubt the info will emerge at some time.

Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I have quickly scanned through the threads and not sure if the following was mentioned, a baptism of a George Thorp 29th Feb 1756 in Maresfield to John & Sarah.
This could tie in with that marriage to Mary Skinner.

Mary Skinner could be the one born 1752 in Hadlow, Kent to John & Mary.

However, I would then find it difficult to believe they could be the parents of Jonathan born in 1803 as she would be about 50.

From the 1785 Land Tax Records it could be John living at Batts Lane in Maresfield which was owned by John Smith.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Also a bit of info you might not have about Jonathan & Elizabeth is that the JPs ordered a removal for them from Chailey to Barcombe in 1824.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Just looking around the area, there are a number of births and deaths that could be related.

Hetty Thorp bap 20th Apr 1800 Newick - George & Mary
George Thorp died 1803 born 1802 buried in Barcombe (possible child perhaps?)
Jonathan bap 10th Sep 1803 Barcombe - George & Mary
Richard bap 30th Jun 1805 Isfield - George & Mary (Abode Barcombe)
Mercy bap 12th Apr 1807 Barcombe - George & Mary
George born 1809 buried 1810 Barcombe - Possible child of George & Mary?

There are no matches outside this period that are relevant that I can see, so either George & Mary married about 1799 or they moved into the area then.

What do you think?

Sean

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Had a glass of wine and looked further back

Charlotte 1794 Newick - George & Mary
George 1790 Newick buried 1791 Maresfield - George & Mary
Hester 1788 Newick - George & Mary
Mary 1785 Newick - George & Mary
Sarah 1784 Newick - George & Mary
John 1783 Newick - George & Mary
Elizabeth 1781 Newick - George & Mary
Jenny 1778 Newick - George & Mary

So this would tie in with the George & Mary marrying in 1777, remembering also that baptismal dates do not necessarily mean birth dates.

PS They really had no luck with children named George!

PSS Maybe George married twice? There is a largish gap between 1794 and 1800

PSSS There is in fact a burial of a Mary Thorpe in Maresfield 1794!!!!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sean.

I like your modus operandi!! Have a glass of wine, and take another look!!  :D

I wondered if George could have remarried to Martha after Mary but the problem with that is that the baptisms of Jonathan & mercy in 1803 and 1807 both name Mary as mother. Of course, he could have married another Mary who was young enough to have children then - making Martha probably not relevant to all this. There do seem to be an awful lot of Thorpes in that general area and it may well be that I have the wrong George.

I think I need access to ALL Thorpe BMDs in the area but that isn't going to happen until they're online.

Or, does anyone know if the Sussex FHS do a name search - Bucks FHS do them: a few pounds for a 100 year search of a particular surname in B, M or D. I'd be more than happy to fork out for that.

Otherwise, I shall just have to be patient (not my default setting!!)

Jill
HELP!!!