Author Topic: Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!  (Read 3391 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Following a DNA Match in Sussex- Help!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
To access the Sussex Family History Group files is only £15 for the year so that might be the way to go.
There are a few members who have Thorpe interests who you might want to contact.
http://www.sfhg.org.uk/ext/EY67.HTM

Sean

Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thought it best to continue on this thread as its a similar problem i.e. another DNA link to the same people.

I've more or less given up on trying to find the Thorpe DNA link to my brickwall theory. I even tried Sean's tip (have a glass of wine and another go) but without any luck.

I've just been searching on Ancestry for anyone else with a DNA match via SYMONDS in Sussex. This is my original brickwall, involving my 6xgt grandparents Joseph and Sarah who to all intents and purposes lived in Hambleden, Bucks - first child in 1740. I've never been able to find their marriage or baptisms but had found a couple who married in Ardingly, Sussex in 1731, had 4 children up to 1737 and then - apparently - disappeared from view. Did they move to Bucks? or had I just fitted them around my theory?

Anyway, I've now found another DNA match (admittedly only 5th-8th cousin) who not only has Symonds in her tree but they are from Ardingly! Unfortunately, she doesn't appear to have much more info so I've held off contacting her as yet.

That's two mysterious DNA matches to this area - one very high (33cMs) which took me from New Zealand to East Sussex but then got stuck (hence this thread) and the second which is a much smaller match but is a link to the name as well as the town.

Surely I must be on the right path with my theory - and yet I still feel more proof is needed.

So, do any of you lovely people have access to East Sussex records or are a member of the FHS? Are there any removal orders, settlement orders, wills etc in the name of Symonds (or its many various spellings) which might point me in the right direction? Joseph and Sarah would have moved to Bucks around 1737-40. Joseph's father was Hugh or Hugo and died in 1739 in Ardingly. Are Sussex wills online?

Finally, does anyone familiar with that area of Sussex know of any connection to the Hambleden area of Bucks? I'm assuming they were both agricultural areas - could they have had the same landowner?  :-\

Sorry, for the mini novel! Any help would be great.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Right I cannot find any children born to a Joseph & Sarah in Ardingly, however I can find some in Cuckfield, John 1733 and Sarah 1735. Neither can I find a baptism of a Joseph to a Hugh or Hugo. Was this based upon the tree you found on Ancestry?

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:12 BST (UK) »
Aha, they also had a Joseph Simmons baptised 1737/1738 which fits in with some of the info I can see in your post. Right and then nothing after that including any burials in Cuckfield.
Now someone used to have lots of Cuckfield stuff but I cannot rightly remember who it was, hopefully they will read this and see if there is anything else to see.

Regards
Sean

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Now I have the trail!

Joseph and Sarah settled in Cuckfield in Oct 25 1735 from Worth.

I cannot see any removals from Cuckfield for them I am afraid. You might have to ask in the Bucks forum if you haven't already to see if they have any settlement records.

Sean

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Aha, they also had a Joseph Simmons baptised 1737/1738 which fits in with some of the info I can see in your post. Right and then nothing after that including any burials in Cuckfield.
Now someone used to have lots of Cuckfield stuff but I cannot rightly remember who it was, hopefully they will read this and see if there is anything else to see.

Regards
Sean

Thanks, Sean. Obviously well lubricated then?  ;)

Yes, married in 1731 in Ardingly (though some sources say Worth), 4 children baptised in Cuckfield between 1733 and 1737. Two of the children's names are 'repeated' by the couple in Bucks but I think I've found a burial for one of them - Mary born and died in 1736 in Ardingly. I have a vague recollection of finding (years ago) a removal or settlement order for the family and that it wasn't in Sussex - possibly Surrey (would they have travelled via Surrey to get from Sussex to Bucks?) but I lost faith in my theory at that time and can't for the life of me find any note of it. Now, with the DNA matches, I've resurrected my theory but can't get any further.

I'm assuming they lived somewhere it was just as easy to do their BMDs in either Cuckfield or Ardingly, just to confuse a future family historian.

Some Ancestry trees have some info about who Joseph's siblings married (all seem to be in Sussex, if correct) but nothing on Joseph other than his baptism in 1737. parents were Hugh (or Hugo) Symonds and Susannah (possibly nee Tracy) - some of the same trees have them marrying in 1688 in Ardingly.

What I wouldn't do for a mid 18th century Hambleden census which gives both Joseph and Sarah's birthplaces!!

I'm going to message the 'new' DNA match just in case she has any more info on her Ann Symonds who she has marrying a James Standen in Ardingly in 1709. Ann was the eldest child of Hugh and Susannah - Joseph was the youngest (20 years apart).

youngtug, thanks for the links but, as far as I can see,  they're all to do with people called Chatfield.

Added: I think I've exhausted Bucks FHS etc for any sign of them but I'll try again.

jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
Ah yes,,, I see you've gone off the Chatfields
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY