Author Topic: Rossiters of Aldershot  (Read 669 times)

Offline afb57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rossiters of Aldershot
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from William and Eliza Rossiter ( 2x gt. grandparents ) who were publicans at the Red Lion in Aldershot on the 1871 census. I have a family photograph which I believe are Rossiters but do not know when it was  taken.  Family with pony and trap. I believe the location may be Ash Road opposite the Red Lion? The Rossiters  were in Aldershot from the 1860s and my gt grandparents Edward Fordham Rossiter and wife Anna  had a butchers shop 268 High Street c.1895-1920. I would be grateful if anyone can help locate when and where this photo was taken.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rossiters of Aldershot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat, I can't help with the location but the photo is Edwardian.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
That is such a beautiful photo to own, you are very lucky.  I'm afraid I'm not able to help with the identification of the location, but I agree with Carol, it is Edwardian.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I don't think it is either of the properties on the other corner from the Red Lion the wood arches by the windows do not look the same

ADDED The glass window in the door behind them says Private ..

I also don't think it is outside the Red Lion
They were living very close to 'The Volunteer' in the High Street in 1881, I can't find an old photo of that pub at the moment.  Is it a possibility
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline afb57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat, I can't help with the location but the photo is Edwardian.
Carol

Thank you Carol, I thought it was probably around then and its nice to know others think the same.

That is such a beautiful photo to own, you are very lucky.  I'm afraid I'm not able to help with the identification of the location, but I agree with Carol, it is Edwardian.
Pat

Thank you Pat. This photo is one of several I inherited and is by far the clearest. It is on a post card, the photography is attributed to J Chew of Ash Rd, Aldershot

Welcome to rootschat

I don't think it is either of the properties on the other corner from the Red Lion the wood arches by the windows do not look the same

ADDED The glass window in the door behind them says Private ..

I also don't think it is outside the Red Lion
They were living very close to 'The Volunteer' in the High Street in 1881, I can't find an old photo of that pub at the moment.  Is it a possibility

Thank you. I don't know Aldershot at all, I just looked at google street maps and thought it looked like the houses opposite. My Rossiters lived in ST.Georges Sq(1881), Yew Tree Farm (1891), 268 High St (Butchers shop) 1901and 1911census. By the 1920s they were living in Victoria Rd. Never found a census entry for 1861 but one of the children has a baptism record for 1861(April) so they were in Aldershot at that time. I think the Volunteer is a possibility, I will look into this further.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I think you can rule out the Volunteer (272 High Street) I have just located it on current maps  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk