Author Topic: Quick Photo Date, Please James Morley  (Read 100 times)

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quick Photo Date, Please James Morley
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I posted this several years ago, but can't find out how to search for it ... so if you've seen it before, bear with!!  Getting a possible date for this might give me a clue as to who it might have been ... he's the image of my dad as a teenager (photo also uploaded, circa early/mid 1950s) and was found in an old photo album of Cartes de Visite once owned by someone connected by blood to my Morley family tree.

Cheers,

Sarah

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Photo Date, Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to your other topic on this chap ;)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=203515.0

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Photo Date, Please James Morley
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Ah - many thanks Sarah!  I haven't used this site much lately so forgot I could look back at my own posts (doh!).

I see the only person who put forward theories about timescale vacillated between 1850 and 1900 ... which probably explains why I didn't make a note of it at the time. 

In a burst of unaccustomed lateral thinking, I've now swotted up about the actual physical photo itself, and understand that the hey-day of the Carte de Visite style, which this photo is, was from 1859 to the early 1870s.  So - even without knowing anything about the intricacies of Victorian men's attire - I guess I can narrow it down myself to a fraction of that timespan, and can now make a good case for it being who I thought it was.