Author Topic: Quick Photo Date, Please James Morley  (Read 377 times)

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quick Photo Date, Please James Morley
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I posted this several years ago, but can't find out how to search for it ... so if you've seen it before, bear with!!  Getting a possible date for this might give me a clue as to who it might have been ... he's the image of my dad as a teenager (photo also uploaded, circa early/mid 1950s) and was found in an old photo album of Cartes de Visite once owned by someone connected by blood to my Morley family tree.

Cheers,

Sarah

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Photo Date, Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to your other topic on this chap ;)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=203515.0

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Photo Date, Please James Morley
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Ah - many thanks Sarah!  I haven't used this site much lately so forgot I could look back at my own posts (doh!).

I see the only person who put forward theories about timescale vacillated between 1850 and 1900 ... which probably explains why I didn't make a note of it at the time. 

In a burst of unaccustomed lateral thinking, I've now swotted up about the actual physical photo itself, and understand that the hey-day of the Carte de Visite style, which this photo is, was from 1859 to the early 1870s.  So - even without knowing anything about the intricacies of Victorian men's attire - I guess I can narrow it down myself to a fraction of that timespan, and can now make a good case for it being who I thought it was.