Author Topic: Dating Photo - Callaghan Family, Glasgow  (Read 476 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dating Photo - Callaghan Family, Glasgow
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I found this photo among my late mothers things.  It was in a small box along with other photos of my grand parents.  I get the impression that they was important photos to the family in that they were stored separately from others.  I have often thought there was a family resemblance to my grandmother who was a Callaghan and that one of the girls could be my grandmother as a young girl or baby.

The original is a post card and I have also included the reverse.  My research suggests the format used could be after 1907 ?   Any help greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtzjygp4krwvkyx/Unknown.jpg?dl=0

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Photo - Callaghan Family, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat. The divided back postcard was introduced in 1902 in the U.K. And 1907 in America. This image is Edwardian.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.   I had always assumed my gran was the baby as she was the last born, but that dating would place this 1902 onwards.  My grandmother was born 1894, so if it is her family that would mean she is one of the older girls.  Interestingly, I had always thought there was a likeness in the girl back right, but had discounted it thinking it was an older photo ie 1894/95.    So it could be the children are cousins. 

Hmm more to contemplate.

Thanks again

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome...if you have any more photos that you are uncertain about, don't hesitate to post...the file limit on here is just below 500kbs.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I would go for around 1910 to 15 ish as ladies hairstyle around that time.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for having a look.   That range would definitely rule out my grandmother as being in the photo as she was born 1894.   Would that be described as a "mourning" dress worn by the lady or was black a fairly common colour ?  Reason I ask is I know her husband died in 1903 and wondered if this is a photo taken around that time.  If so that would make the girl back right about 10 years old if it was my grandmother.  I have a photo of her I can date to 1916 and there is, well at least I think so, a strong facial resemblance around the eyes, nose and mouth. 

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 January 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for having a look.   That range would definitely rule out my grandmother as being in the photo as she was born 1894.   Would that be described as a "mourning" dress worn by the lady or was black a fairly common colour ?  Reason I ask is I know her husband died in 1903 and wondered if this is a photo taken around that time.  If so that would make the girl back right about 10 years old if it was my grandmother.  I have a photo of her I can date to 1916 and there is, well at least I think so, a strong facial resemblance around the eyes, nose and mouth.

Lovely pic

Just sneaking in here to say - as will others - that since the photo is black and white, the dresses could be any dark colour, not just black. 

I agree the contrast makes them look black, but they could be dark blue or another intense dark colour.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 January 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Haha, yes having a laugh at myself for saying that !    You are right.  There is a good range of grey tones so I just assumed it was black as it was so dark.