Author Topic: Marlborough, Wiltshire, 1600s to break a brick wall  (Read 858 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marlborough, Wiltshire, 1600s to break a brick wall
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
The 1638 will of Richard Banfield of Swanage (then spelt Sandwich), Dorset, mentions a 'house and tenement with grounds in Marlborough, Wiltshire' that he left to his wife Mary for her lifetime and then to go to his daughters Christian and Mary for 'rest of the term'.

As Richard resided in Swanage I can only assume he inherited the lands in Marlborough from a relative and I would really like to try and work out who this was and how he came to have the property and land.

The details of the will can be found here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~suegar/swanwills_1.htm

Is there anyone here who might perhaps please be able to offer any suggestions as to how to crack this?

Thank you very much.
Jon

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marlborough, Wiltshire, 1600s to break a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7x/

Something to do with the Dackombes?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marlborough, Wiltshire, 1600s to break a brick wall
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply and the link.

I think from the will it appears that Marlborough was not part of the Dackombe estate as all of that was to go to Richard Banfield's son John after the death of Richard's wife Mary.  Extracts from the will: 

...To Mary (wife) my tenement in Corfe Castle I bought of Edward Dackombe deceased... To Mary as long as she remains a widow excepting the land at Marlborough which is for the term of her natural life. After her death to be divided as follows...
- John (son): estate of Edward Dackombe for rest of term unexpired, for his life then to George (son).
- Christian and Mary (daughters): Marlborough for rest of the term.

So I think the Marlborough land must have come from somewhere else but no idea where at all!

As it says that Marlborough was to be Mary's until death - even if she remarried - I can only assume that it came to Richard Banfield through her family, perhaps as part of their marriage settlement.

Thanks again for your reply and post as that Dackombe information was helpful as I was looking at that family. And having read the will again following your post I now realise the significance of the part about Marlborough being Mary's until death regardless of her remarriage.   

Kind regards,
Jon