Author Topic: Help find my grandmother’s birth record in County Wexford  (Read 4586 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help find my grandmother’s birth record in County Wexford
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:26 GMT (UK) »
1939 indexes show a Norah Armstrong born 1879 living in Manchester - would she be your ancestor?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 January 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Well found, I was struggling....suggest Forestier compares that 1939 address with address on Norah's death certificate [and family knowledge of other members of the household].

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 07:42 GMT (UK) »

Offline Forestier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that's a very interesting find.

So the Thomas Sullivan mentioned lived in Knockroe and the estate was paid to his son Patrick, (possibly the future publican?).

The Thomas Sullivan who was registered as Honora's father also lived in Knockroe.

Two Thomas Sullivans in same place, one with links to Pub Trade & one with links to Honora.

Thanks again!

Nina

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Great to have Honora's siblings!
Again - just checking I am thinking straight....
[1] Honora 1872 was a child of Thomas Sullivan farmer of Knockroe & Mary Doran, this Thomas  must have had a son Patrick Sullivan farmer of Knockroe named in Letters of Administration of 1888 [found by heywood] though I have not found this birth.
[2] Pat 1865 [birth found] was a child of Thomas Sullivan farmer of Old Ross [brother in law to James Doyle] & Margaret Doyle and was a publican in 1901. Stated to be a tradesman of Dunmain on marriage in 1897
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1897/10447/5804495.pdf

2 Thomas' AND 2 Patricks? The publican Patrick NOT related to Honora?

To recap - only 1 Thomas Sullivan marriage 1855 - 1868 - in 1869, New Ross 1/4/913, no Margaret Doyle or Mary Doran marriages compare. Maybe they married before state registration in 1855 or marriage is not registered [my great grandparents' marriage of 1869 in Mullingar is not registered].

So the Thomas Sullivan mentioned lived in Knockroe and the estate was paid to his son Patrick,
Not necessarily, Patrick was granted the Letters of Administration, he may not have been the main beneficiary. But yes, this Patrick may have become a publican after 1888.

ALSO - I may be confused & going mad  ;D

IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I am confused too Josey, although I am sure at one point I wasn’t  ;)

1901 census Knockroe
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Whitemoor/Knockroe/1800267/

Patrick with sister Statia (other Patrick has a wife Statia)
Nieces Mary Moore and Jane Moore.
Birth of Jane Josephine Moore shows mother as Mary Josephine Sullivan.
Father, Thomas Moore is a shopkeeper  ::)

1911 Mary Josephine Moore is the Manageress of Licensed Premises  :)
Presumably this is Mary b 1869 mmn Doran

1911 Patrick with sister, Anastatia

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Whitemore/Knockroe/688122/

I wonder if Patrick is the Richard you found?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I just want to point out that in rural areas it was perfectly possible for a single person to be a farmer, publican and shopkeeper.  I have two separate descents from such versatile folk.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I just want to point out that in rural areas it was perfectly possible for a single person to be a farmer, publican and shopkeeper.  I have two separate descents from such versatile folk.

I agree and have experienced the same myself.

In this case, we have Thomas, a farmer with a son who becomes a Publican, albeit in a different townland, but does not apparently have a daughter, Norah. Now discounted.

Then we have Thomas, a farmer, with no indication of being a Publican but he has a daughter, Hanora. He is described as a Farmer in the records we have noted.
However, there is an older sister to Hanora who marries a shopkeeper.

Lastly, we have Norah, who works for a Publican in the census before her marriage.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 09:52 GMT (UK) »