Author Topic: Ann Riggs and Walter Bowler  (Read 751 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Riggs and Walter Bowler
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the family of Ann Bowler (nee Riggs). I realize this is next to impossible because so many records were destroyed.

I know that Walter was a lawyer and eventually became the sovereign of Kinsale in the mid 1700s. He was also a Protestant according to several sources online including one newspaper article. He also mentions that his grandfather was Rev Peter Hewett/Hewitt during a council session about another grandson Peter Hewitt how is in Porsomouth, England. Walter married Ann Riggs in 1746 in Cork. I have started a tree on genealogy website with a guess that his father is Ferdinand Bowler but have only a few bits of potential proof (e.g. Ferdinand married Elizabeth Hewitt in 1704 and she is possibly might a daughter of Rev Peter Hewett). Walter Bowler died in 1756. I don't know if they had children or not.

I found this on a website and it is clearly Ann. It mentions Riggs Falkiner, a descendent of Edward Riggs (1617-1707). This could just be a coincidence or maybe a cousin. There are many Ann Riggs in the Edward Riggs and Ann Allen (his wife) family tree!

(CJ 22/7/1756) – TO be set immediately the lands of Ballymachus, in the Barony of Kinnalea, within three miles of Kinsale, containing 250 acres of good pasture land, with a good farm, house, barn and stable, a young orchard near the sea convenient for manure. Proposals to be received by the widow Bowler in Paul-street, Corke, Administrix to her late husband Walter Bowler of Kinsale; by Mr. Barnabas Pressicks of Kinsale, or Riggs Falkiner, Esq; in Corke, N.B. The said widow has a large garden and summer house, to set in Kinsale.

I have scoured e-books on Cork and several online genealogy websites but haven't come up with anything at all (who Ann's parents were). Thanks for any thoughts on this!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton