Author Topic: Dromore Parish, Down, Ireland Need Date of Death Jane McCoughan/Jn Darrah  (Read 1897 times)

Offline lehmankm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dromore Parish, Down, Ireland Need Date of Death Jane McCoughan/Jn Darrah
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
What little info I have from FamilySearch (not a member so I could not get into the record). Says FamilySearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5742:10 February 2018), Jane Mc Coughan in entry for Jane Darrah, 22 mar 1823 citing Dromore parish, down, Ireland, index based upon data collected by the Gen Society Utah, Salt lake city; FHL microfilm 0496515 IT6. Document information: Indexing Project (Batch Number C70005-1 System Origin Ireland-ODM. Father listed as Jn Darrah. I don't know if this is the same Jane that we are looking for, but the dates should shed some light on that. Jane Darrah (daughter) my 2GGrandmother was an orphan. She said her mother died either giving birth or shortly after, the child dying about 10 days later. Father died (shortly after that). That means if Jane McCoughan gave birth to Jane Darrah Mar 1823 J. McCoughan should have a death date in the same year and Jn Darrah father of J. Darrah around or about the same give or take.  Need death dates of Jn Darrah and Jane McCaughan(wife) to see if they belong to my tree.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Parish, Down, Ireland Need Date of Death Jane McCoughan/Jn Darrah
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
You can get a free membership, w/o belonging to the LDS, and see a lot of the images and information. Sign up, etc.
this one says

Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
Name:   Jane Darrah
Birth Date:   22 Mar 1823
Birthplace:   DROMORE PARISH,DOWN,IRELAND
Father's Name:   Jn. Darrah
Mother's Name:   Jane Mc Coughan

the link is
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F517-74V

and that is all. If there were more, accessible only to members of the Church of LDS, it would say something like 'to view this image you must ...'

The record is attached to a tree
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/MZXM-WQY

but it doesn't seem to have any more information.

edited to add link to record.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Did they have a son James?

Ireland Births and Baptisms
Name:   James Darragh
Birth Date:   11 Feb 1821
Birthplace:   DROMORE PARISH,DOWN,IRELAND
Father's Name:   John Darragh
Mother's Name:   Jane

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F517-PSX

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »
rosdavies.com adds this about John DARRAGH/ DARRAH, of Dromore

husband of Jane McCoughan ; father of James b. 11 Feb 1821 & Jane b. 22 Mar 1823 & bpt. at Dromore Church of Ireland

so were both bapt. C of I, or just the daughter, a bit unclear but probably both.

edited to add:

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/rcb-library/online-parish-records

has a .pdf file Table of Church of Ireland Parish Registers
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

that tells the availablity of C of I parish records, but it will help if you can narrow them down to a specific parish.
Lots of them were destroyed though, so don't get too hopeful until you look through the list.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Dromore (Co. Down) Church of Ireland has baptism, marriage and burial records from 1784 onwards. There’s a copy in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is generally required to view them, or you can ask PRONI if they will search them for you. There will be a search fee.
Elwyn

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Ros Davies website has a lot of details on this area

www.rosdavies.com

John Darragh - Dromore, husband of Jane McCoughan, father of James b 11 Feb 1821 and Jane b 22 Mar 1823, baptized at Dromore Church of Ireland.

There is also a James Darragh married Margaret Thompson on 20 Jul 1842 at Dromore Church of Ireland cathedral, could be the above James.
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 January 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Rootsireland has transcribed the Dromore parish registers - and it is showing a search result for Jane Darragh 1823 - but you need a subscription to view.

http://www.rootsireland.ie/ifhf/search.php

I am not sure how much more details the register might have, possibly list godparents or townland of residence, but then again it might show nothing other than the date of baptism, and parents names which you already have.
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline lehmankm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 January 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  That's actually what I am afraid of.  There are a lot of places out there to join but they are all fee based.  You could spend (big bucks) going from one to the other.  Especially if you don't get any results (either way).