Author Topic: Family history coincidences  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Family history coincidences
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 January 19 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, thanks for the encouragement. I understand this stuff about triangulation, but in my eagerness I sometimes forget it. We need three matches to triangulate, not just two!   8)

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly possible.

I've got a match on ancestry who is my fourth cousin, once removed on my father's side (on her mother's side) and a fifth cousin, twice removed on my mother's side (on her father's side)!
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I say completely possible

My parents had relatives that were married to each other.
My parents are not related to each other by blood.
I am related to both my parents and their relatives.

Later on my cousin on my fathers side married a relative of my mother.
My cousin and his wife are not blood relatives.
I have dna from my cousins side and his wifes side (and so does their child, just in different proportions)

I'd imagine any adopted children of my extended family searching for us could get really confused by DNA results because of this?? My family always check that marriages don't involve blood relatives btw. Once you get further back or people don't have good records this might not work .......

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I share my paternal 7G grandparents from Surrey with a match. This has been flagged up by Ancestry as a 'Shared Ancestor Hint'. Job done, 8th cousins, no problem.

I share 19.8 cMs with this match - not impossible, but perhaps unlikely to be 8th cousins.

However, shared matches are on my maternal side.

We haven't got to the bottom of this as yet, and probably never will, but his great grandfather gave what was probably a false name and age when he married, reported to be son of a Kentish policeman.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765221.0

In this case, the coincidence is not as striking as others given, as both my parents had roots in Kent and Surrey.  But it is still potentially confusing.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Now that I'm aware of this issue, I've come across another case of a double connection. I manage a DNA kit for my cousin, whose ancestors were among the earliest free white settlers in NSW. Recently a match wrote to me because it seemed both she and her husband were connected to this family - she known by DNA match and her husband known by paper records. So I investigated and found that a convict family and a free settler family had a son and a daughter marry, and then a grandson and granddaughter marry in the next generation. This wouldn't be unexpected because they were farming on the northwest fringe of Sydney (Hawkesbury River) when Sydney was a very small place and there wouldn't have been many spouses to choose from in that small Hawkesbury community.