Author Topic: Margaret PERCY or HOGG, 1832  (Read 514 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret PERCY or HOGG, 1832
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Due to the date of my query, I'm not sure if Northumberland or Durham would be the right place to post... on that note though I'm wondering if anyone has access to the Tweedmouth Parish Church records (St Bartholomew and St Boisil).

Years ago I was given some information regarding Margaret HOGG, supposed illegitimate daughter of Robert PERCY and Mary HOGG. Baptised 25 November 1832, at the above location.

Upon doing further research I have found a baptism record that has her named as Margaret PIERCY, daughter of Robert PIERCY and Mary HOGG. Yet when I look for her in any census records there are a couple of records of Margaret and Mary HOGG together. Specifically in the Spittal area, where the PERCY family resides at the same time.

The issue that I have, is that it looks like another Margaret HOGG is baptised 31 January 1832 (same year) to another Mary HOGG (no father), yet in Hexham.

I'd like to clarify if she was given the PERCY name, or lived as a HOGG, so that I can follow her further.

Cheers :)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret PERCY or HOGG, 1832
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
According to freereg, which use the bishop's transcripts for Northumberland, Margaret Piercy was baptised as the illegitimate child of Robert Piercy and Mary Hogg, both of Spittal.  Not sure how the parish records would disprove this unless you search for her marriage.

Christine

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christine,
I think that's more correct as I have followed a number of Margaret and Mary HOGG's in the census records and found that one pair lived in the same / next, street as Robert PERCY for a number of years.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
She may have decided to call herself Hogg for some reason in later years (or her mother decided it) but the Tweedmouth baptism ties in with what you had already been told.

C

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 19 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Added to this query is my search into where both Margaret and Mary HOGG were during the 1841 census period.

I have found one Margaret in a Hexham Union Workhouse, aged 10 years but that seems to be a bit of a distance from her birthplace in Spittal, Northumberland.

So looking around Spittal (Margaret's birthplace), and Mary's supposed birthplace of Lowick (1851 census), Bamber Moor (1861 census), Bowsden (1871 census), and Ban... Building? (1881 census).... I haven't been able to locate them in 1841.